bottoming out.... what's wrong?

Participant count
  • Participant list

newb
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Here's the setup:

Clarion DXZ785USB

Diamond Audio s600a component set (running it passively)

Orion HCCA 600D

Orion HCCA 4002

1 JL Audio 12W7 in a custom ported enclosure built to JL's specs

Problem:

Both the components and sub bottoms out only on bass songs, but it performs flawlessly on my daily music (metal, trance, rock), why is this? BTW, I am not even sending the sub it's rated power, I am sending it roughly 300 watts @ 3 Ohm, gains are set to less than half on the sub amp, bass boost is 0 across the board. Crossover settings for the component amp are set to Off, and pass through at the headunit, because I am using the passive crossovers. Max volume on the HU is 33, and tuning volume is set at 25, when demo'ing some bass tracks, both the components and sub starts bottoming out at volume 21-22.

Anyone know why?

"Both the components and sub bottoms out only on bass songs"

Most "bass" songs have clipping in them if not processed properly, most of the music out there is fairly unclipped. Even though your components in your vehicle are set to not clip the song that was made has a clipped signal making your speakers and subs bottom out which is really freaking annoying I have had it happen. Stay away from bass testers problem solved.

Youre playing below port tuning?
Subsonic filter is set to around 40hz. Enclosure is tuned to 37Hz.

"Both the components and sub bottoms out only on bass songs"
Most "bass" songs have clipping in them if not processed properly, most of the music out there is fairly unclipped. Even though your components in your vehicle are set to not clip the song that was made has a clipped signal making your speakers and subs bottom out which is really freaking annoying I have had it happen. Stay away from bass testers problem solved.
****, so I can't really demo to friends without it bottoming out. That *****. So stay away from Bass Mekanik and the likes....?

Subsonic filter is set to around 40hz. Enclosure is tuned to 37Hz.

****, so I can't really demo to friends without it bottoming out. That *****.
Back your gains down a tad bit... Might solve your problem I use a clarion eq for fine tuning and I back the sub gain and 50hz gain down a tad and usually does the trick for me. But as far as testers go they aren't very good on quality. The way you download your music may be an issue too. I download all iTunes if I want a good digital copy.

Back your gains down a tad bit... Might solve your problem I use a clarion eq for fine tuning and I back the sub gain and 50hz gain down a tad and usually does the trick for me. But as far as testers go they aren't very good on quality. The way you download your music may be an issue too. I download all iTunes if I want a good digital copy.
All music are 320kbps or .wav/CD. I was actually thinking about backing my gains down a bit, but that'll really lower the overall volume on the music I listen to daily. Hence, the reason why I didn't do so. But why would the sub bottom out when the sub is not even seeing it's rated power?

All music are 320kbps or .wav/CD. I was actually thinking about backing my gains down a bit, but that'll really lower the overall volume on the music I listen to daily. Hence, the reason why I didn't do so. But why would the sub bottom out when the sub is not even seeing it's rated power?
Okay... Anyone can blow a sub from under powering it/ clipping it. You can blow a 1000 watt rms sub with a 100 watt amp if the signal is clipped which is a squared off sign wave, subs don't like that and they will bottom out. But.... I really recommend an equalizer after your HU and before your amps, plus its a 5volt output which cleans up the signal a bit. They only run 50 bucks and will save a lot of time going back to your amp and constantly changing it to fit the style of music you are listening to. All you would have to do for bass tracks is knock the lower frequency gain down just a tad and bing no bottoming out!

Okay... Anyone can blow a sub from under powering it/ clipping it. You can blow a 1000 watt rms sub with a 100 watt amp if the signal is clipped which is a squared off sign wave, subs don't like that and they will bottom out. But.... I really recommend an equalizer after your HU and before your amps, plus its a 5volt output which cleans up the signal a bit. They only run 50 bucks and will save a lot of time going back to your amp and constantly changing it to fit the style of music you are listening to. All you would have to do for bass tracks is knock the lower frequency gain down just a tad and bing no bottoming out!
This is a temp setup, but good to know. Once the new setup goes in the car I'll tune it more with the new HU's built in 16band PEQ. With the HU I have now, I am limited to 3, which all are used to cut some peaks I was having in the mid frequencies. Thanks.

Yes, it sounds just like that. Although I may have solved the problem. I'll report back.
That's called clipping. You're sending a bad signal to the subwoofer AKA the gain is too high or some setting is too high causing it to clip the signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.