Bottom of subwoofer box was soaked with water for at least 1-2 hours.

Somchine13
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
After washing my car, 2 hours later I decided to go and grab something from the back trunk. I realized the bottom of the sub box is wet. I check the bottom and it seems kind of soft, don't know maybe it's just me. Do you guys think it will affect the box at all when it dries up?

The top edge of one of my old prefab boxes got wet once, it got all puffed out and brittle, eventually broke, made a little indent into where the sub sat, so there was a little gape there. But, again, it was a cheap prefab, and it was the top, so the weight of the sub probably messed it up more. With yours being the bottom, you may be ok? The weight of the box might keep it from puffing out? Not sure, either way, good luck with that.

yah i left a sub box on my porch over night.. rain come in from the wind...barely any rain mind you... and the box just fell apart with no weight on it at all... the part the fell apart fastest was the sub cut-out..u could see every layer of the mdf delaminatin from each other

box is done for bro. as most builders build from the bottom up. eventually the box will rattle apart. once one piece comes loose the structural integrity is greately reduced. MDF and water is a no no. 3/4" mdf will expand up to 1.5" when fully soaked for about an hour. i know a thunderstorm hit last year with 3 sheets in my back yard //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Thanks you all, I've took the sub out just to make sure it is not wet and looks fine. You guys are right, the sub already feels like it's falling about and I can hear a little crackling noise here and there. I guess I need a new box now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.