Boost Issues

Participant count
  • Participants list

JustinStone

aspiring nutrient
Florida
Purchased a diablo intune i3 8345, and put a tune on the Cruiser. The boost wasn't making the numbers advertised, and talked about on forums, so I got to tinkering. The stock SRT4 wastegate opened with the slightest pressure to it, so about a .25" shim was added to stiffen the spring. This allowed for 2 more pounds of sustained boost but i still have an issue. My boost spikes at 13-14psi around 1-4k rpm, then begins to rapidly fall as I increase in speed, reaching as low as 7psi. An audible whooshing sound is heard, much like the blow-off, around 7-14psi while still on the throttle. Stock SRT4 BOV's are supposed to take upwards of 20psi so this failure doesn't make sense to me (I replaced the BOV with a spare and no change).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Boost leak tests aren't impossible with our equipment, just a pain in the ass since the engine bay is tighter than spandex; so I'm tryna save some trouble.

Similar, yet probably unrelated topic. The turbo flutter I had, has disappeared. I understand that flutter is surge, and the BOV is to reduce this, but tbh I was a fan. A 45mm turbo should despool for a good while, so the disappearance of it, especially with 2-4 more psi, has me concerned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.