Bonified, Certified High Quality Amps

600HPSVT
10+ year member

Kville
I have spent countless hours going through the posts here and on other forums to find out what companies are still making the really "good stuff" but can't seem to find anything definative. After a long dry spell in the hi-po audio arena, I see that things have definately changed! When I first got audio fever back in the mid 90's, buying a great amp was about as easy as choosing a particular brand. PPI, Soundstream, Mcintosh, etc. were all top notch. I now read that many of these companies are not making the same "quality" of products that they once did, even with 10+ years in technology improvements. Since I have now become settled in as a "family man", I want to pursue my love for audio once again. This brings me back to my question; does any company make a solid line of amps, mono and multi-channel, that are the best of the best? I know that the "who makes best amp" question has been worn out. I would just like to know of a company or two that has proven that they are serious about making great amps. I know there are lots of "good" amps for sale, but I would really like to have one of the best. The local stores that used to carry all the high-dollar stuff have faded away, at least where I live. This means I will probably have to go through the internet to buy. I would hate to drop a few grand on amps that don't perform or may have design flaws. The warranty, or lack thereof, you get purchasing at some the online retailers is scary! Fortunately there are forums like this to help "school a fool" on what's hot and what's not. Thanks for all the advice so far. Much appreciated.

What kind of power are you looking for exactly, and at what ohm loads? As far as high quality goes, it's really kinda up in the air. Once you get to a certain point, you really won't see any improvement, and you're just buying a name more than anything else, in most cases. Helix, Audison, and DLS are probably good places to start looking if you have a few thousand to blow.

From what little research I have performed, my amplifier list would also include: Tru, Genesis, Zapco, Arc Audio, or Lunar. My cousin, who I happen to be staying with right now, swears by Lunar and his setups are pretty impressive.

Add Rockford Fosgate and MTX to that list.
ROFL!

Yeah, add sony too then //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Most of what was mentioned (minus retard up above).

Tru is great stuff, Mcintosh, Audison (not the newer commercial stuff). Linear...old school PPI XTANT

Really though, you need to be doing everything right in order to make these amps worth the money. If you are not going with good quality speakers, tuning it correctly etc, just get a very good amp (RF and MTX do fall into that) and you will have your power that you require.

This usually turns into an argument because "amps do not add any SQ" which is very VERY true. A good amp adds as little as possible to the source, high quality amps just add less and may be closer to the reference as well as usually have better service if things go wrong (even the best have problems, just comes down to how quickly the problems are resolved)

you are joking i hope. those are in no way high quality
High quality comes from the build of the amp, components used and whether the amp does it's rated power. They all sound the same. RF has a longggg history of building reliable amps that last for a very long time. Look at some of the reviews that were done on the RF T600-2, T1000-4 and T2500-1BD. If you have never used any of the current RF Power series amps for any amount of time then your opinions are not valid.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

ROFL!
Yeah, add sony too then //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Most of what was mentioned (minus retard up above).

Tru is great stuff, Mcintosh, Audison (not the newer commercial stuff). Linear...old school PPI XTANT

Really though, you need to be doing everything right in order to make these amps worth the money. If you are not going with good quality speakers, tuning it correctly etc, just get a very good amp (RF and MTX do fall into that) and you will have your power that you require.

This usually turns into an argument because "amps do not add any SQ" which is very VERY true. A good amp adds as little as possible to the source, high quality amps just add less and may be closer to the reference as well as usually have better service if things go wrong (even the best have problems, just comes down to how quickly the problems are resolved)
I can respect your opinion.

High quality comes from the build of the amp, components used and whether the amp does it's rated power. They all sound the same. RF has a longggg history of building reliable amps that last for a very long time. Look at some of the reviews that were done on the RF T600-2, T1000-4 and T2500-1BD. If you have never used any of the current RF Power series amps for any amount of time then your opinions are not valid.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif
i have installed plenty for people. i would never put them in a "high quality" catagory. they are decent amps but far overpriced for what they are. they arent bottom of the barrel but they arent in the middle either.

I have 2 Rockford Fosgate T20001BDs and 2 T400.4s in my blazer.

I see nothing wrong with RF. The amps are underrated, are very reliable, and the customer service has been awesome. I would compare them to the old school JBL BP PowerValve amps, which i love.

The Rockford Amps have been very practical every day amps.

Their only downfall i would think of would be the price. Power series amps tend to be a little pricey.

I have no idea why everyone is bashing RF's product (Power series amp wise)

Punch is a whole 'nother story though....

The best thing for the original poster to do is to go down to different car audio shops, look at each amplifier, research and read any reviews on the amplifier, get the opinions of different installers from different shops and go from there. Also find out the return rates on each brand you find. Don't go wasting any unnecessary money on amps like McIntosh, Tru, Audison because there will not be a noticeable difference in sound between those amps and other amps that would not cost as much. This thinking is a myth that many of the so-called high quality car audio companies have their consumers believing so they can validate people spending the extra money buying their products.

i have installed plenty for people. i would never put them in a "high quality" catagory. they are decent amps but far overpriced for what they are. they arent bottom of the barrel but they arent in the middle either.
You may have installed them but I have used them since 1989 and they have given me years and years of reliable service with little to no maintenance needed. Punch 45, 75, 150, 200.2, 250.1 power, T10001BD, T1500-1BD, etc, etc, etc. Now I am talking about the Power series amps not the Best Buy stuff. Let's get that straight.

JL Audio makes high quality amps as well. Sundown Audio, Atomic, Lanzar Optidrive, ZED Audio, American Bass.

You may have installed them but I have used them since 1989 and they have given me years and years of reliable service with little to no maintenance needed. Punch 45, 75, 150, 200.2, 250.1 power, T10001BD, T1500-1BD, etc, etc, etc. Now I am talking about the Power series amps not the Best Buy stuff. Let's get that straight.
JL Audio makes high quality amps as well. Sundown Audio, Atomic, Lanzar Optidrive, ZED Audio, American Bass.
they in no way can be compared to the quality they had 10+ years ago. im not saying that RF and MTX are garbage but the new ones compared to the o/s models are a joke. they put out good power but i would not waste money on them. you mentioned before not to waste money on Tru, Audison, etc.... sadly though they can be bought for the same prices as the mtx and rf amps. with that said why waste the money on lesser amps when you can have something better

they in no way can be compared to the quality they had 10+ years ago. im not saying that RF and MTX are garbage but the new ones compared to the o/s models are a joke. they put out good power but i would not waste money on them. you mentioned before not to waste money on Tru, Audison, etc.... sadly though they can be bought for the same prices as the mtx and rf amps. with that said why waste the money on lesser amps when you can have something better
That is a lot of bu&&sh*t. I have used them from the late 80's before the HD series, after the HD series and the series before they started doing business with Best Buy the .2 .4 series and they are better than those series. Again, unless you have used them for any period of time in your vehicle, started the car with them everyday, used them during hot summers and experienced their reliability then again your opinions are not valid. I am not attacking you but the ignorance of your opinions. Use the product, read the reviews don't start that sh&t of it ain't as good as it used to be crap. That is a old and tired way of debating the quality of a product. Either you have used the product or have facts to back up your beliefs that the old stuff isn't as good as the new stuff or have a seat someplace.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.