Boat wiring help

Participant count
  • Participant list

tprice5

I am installing a sound system in the boat and have multiple questions. Any help is appreciated.

I have run the power and ground under the dash. Since the boat is all fiberglass, my only option for a ground is the battery, making my ground wire 10' or so. What problems could this present?

I have ACC power as my remote into the back of my head unit. Once I touched an amp remote onto that same ACC wire, the head unit died. I assumed it was attempting to draw too much power from that line and failed. Thus, I am running another power line and using that ACC as my switch to my relay. I tried using a solenoid starter at first because the guy at autozone said thats what I needed. It did not work and I will be trying the bosch relay after work. I am using an 8 gauge power line without a fuse. Is this okay to run 4 remote wires? Wont all these remote lines then read around 12 volts? Is this an issue since remote wires are usually 5 volts (I believe)? If it is an issue, how do I lessen the voltage?

For test purposes, I stuck the remote wires from 3 amps and the head unit into the distribution block. At first, this blew the fuse in my 4 gauge power line. When I replaced the fuse and forgot to remove the remote lines, instead of blowing the fuse again, it fried my rockford amp (fuseless amp). Why didnt it just blow the fuse again in the power line? Also, why didn't it blow the fuses in my other amps or my head unit?

I've discussed a few different configurations. I am not sure which one you are wanting but I will make a diagram and upload it.

I have multiple other questions, mainly wanting to know about the length of my ground and if it is responsible for my blown amp.

All turn on leads are 12v + not five volts so there's no need to reduce voltage, and running several turn on leads won't affect anything if your hu doesn't provide one.

This is how the wiring is going to be when I use the relay. I tried the same wiring but instead of a relay I used a starter solenoid. Didn't work. Hopefully this will.

All turn on leads are 12v + not five volts so there's no need to reduce voltage, and running several turn on leads won't affect anything if your hu doesn't provide one.

Thanks, I had just read somewhere that these were a different voltage. Glad to know I wont have to mess with it. Will I need an inline fuse for the relay?

always fuse power sources. 8 ga is a little overkill for remote turn on. if you are going to use the ign of the boat to trigger the relay disconnect the remote from the back of the deck or just use the remote out from deck to power relay and not ign. solenoid should have worked like a relay. Typically the remote outputs have about 500ma output and not recommended to hook up directly to more than a few amps. I usually run a relay when I install more than 2. But more specifics on amps and cables will help us help you. What kind of boat, how many batts,

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.