BMW Install

ChrisCan
10+ year member

Hello,

Anyone in the Dallas/FW area have good references for an installer that does good work on BMWs? I have a 2002 BMW 3 series, it has the Karmon Hardon audio "upgrade", but I still don't find it all that great.

I am looking for a dealership that can upgrade my audio w/o changing out my head unit. Normally that would not be hard, except that I researche the BMW K-H system and found that

- the factory BMW HU has balanced outputs (vs RCA or speaker level outputs I am used to)

- the K-H upgrade includes already an amp that takes these balanced inputs, and puts out sound to speakers throughout the car; the hard part is that I think the amp and speakers are "matched" for the best sound -> have to replace both speakers and amp (this is more work/$$$ but basically ok).

I think I am looking at

- 4 or 6 channel amp that takes balanced inputs (like ADS or JL Audio)

- 2 or 3 pairs of good component speakers

- 2 channel amp

- a pair of nice subs and enclosure

To get the sound I am wanting..

I know- not cheap...but I am willing to pay a GOOD installer who has done this before, as good sounding music in my car is really important (I spend a lot of time driving it and I need a good system).

Any ideas? Any good places you can suggest to go? I love the car, but the music really needs a real upgrade.

Thanks,

Chris

Cartoys in Lewisville off I-35E or Tweeter in Dallas off the tollway and alpha

Robman has a review about the tweeters in this section. I linked the thread with pics of his ride in there. Check it out.

Earmark Car Audio in Addison does amazing work. I'd definently look them up for any custom car audio work you need done. My next system I am putting in my car is going to be done up there even though it is a long drive from where I live.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I checked out the Clean Sweep unit. I think I must be seeing it as a very simple thing (I'm pretty much a beginner at car audio)- it looks like a speaker to line converter to me, but with some kind of fancy equilization cability? I mean, what do I get from this thing (which looks to cost $300-400) that I don't get from speaker/line converter? Will it sound much cleaner somehow? Back when I had my OEM HU I had a speaker/line converter and it sounded pretty good to me. Is this going to make it sound better?

Also, it sounds like if you use this, you should not use your HU Equalizer settings (at least for best results), so I am wondering if I am giving up a lot of control (I like to vary that from song to song.

I am planning out my system, and will post on another group to find out the best components to get (I mean, what is after the pre-amp outs in terms of amps and speakers).

ChrisC

^^ Old thread, but I have seen Josh's work and it is nice and clean. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...