BMW E30 Convertible system set up?

Bimmerfan84

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 1992 BMW 318iC that desperately needs some sound improvement. I presently have a Kenwood head unit from approx. 2015 (I will get the exact model number later) That was installed by the previous owner. I believe they ran their own speaker wires as I see audio wires running under the dash. However, they never installed new speakers and it sounds distorted as heck. I want to improve the sound to sound nice and clear but try to keep everything looking rather stock. The problem is that the original speaker sizes are SMALL. The front speakers in the kick panel are 5.25 with tweeters in the door. The rear speakers in the rear side panel are also 5.25 but with less than 2" of depth (not a lot of speakers available with this depth). Obviously, If I retain these sizes and do not add a sub (which, if you don't cut a hole in the rear sheet metal, you would never hear a sub if installed in the trunk) I am not going to get much bass. I would like a little bass but it is more important for clarity and keeping an original look. The set up I am considering is putting SPR-50C Alpine Type R 100w rms 5.25 components in the front (woofer in the kick panel and the tweeter in the original spot on the door) and SPE-5000 Alpine 2 way 50w rms 5.25 speakers in the rear spot. The amp I am a little unsure of. It was suggested to me to get the Alpine KTA-450 power pack which is 50w rms x 4, however, I would think that would be underpowering the Type R components in the front wouldn't it? Unless of course I bridged it and then left the rear speakers without being amplified, which wouldn't make much sense either. Any suggestions or ideas? I appreciate it!

whats the rear dash like? any holes for rear speakers?

if you cant run a sub in the trunk, id run a good set of comps upfront and mids in the back. cross the rears to play only like 200hz and below

having highs in the back usually just screws up the sq

id get a bigger amp, like 100x4

I'm suprised there isn't a company that does a package. Head unit is the sony mex5di, it has no amp built in and i have a pretty decent amp to run it all, with adjustable crossovers for all the channels. saying that the head unit has about 2000 controls in it as well.
I would like to go for some mb quartz, they get awesome reviews, but again, especially with the higher powered speakers they have hoooge magnets that just arn't gonna fit.

Assistance dépannage

Last edited:
So you’re saying behind your rear seats is not some sort of direct access to the trunk. I reaize you’re car is a 1992 but that’s odd. Otherwise are you worried about resale value that you wouldnt cut a hole that nobody is going to see, does the rear deck channel into the trunk?

Low effort is Go with a front 5.25 comp set Since you want to retain stock look. Then Ditch your rears and and get a 4 channel amp that will put out more power to the comps and give you a bridgeable 3/4 channels to run a 4 ohm load sub(sub...do it!)

A little more effort (one banana job) is Measuring the diameter between the two bulging parts on the rear of of the removable door panel to see if there is 6.5” of clearance . Then Look at door where existing door cavity (speaker hole is) and measure if there is 6.5” of flush mount surface area(should include existing factory hole diameter). If there is 6.5” you can add a 6.5” Comp set which will provide more mid-bass and more Comp set options. You can shave that plastic trim hole guard on the back of removable door panel. (This will give you speaker exclusion clearance aka speaker don’t hit door panel). Measure depth from surface of door to window as it’s rolled down and add .5” because I’m looking at the removable door panel you have clearance. pick a Comp set and get the the inner mounting diameter...will be somewhere around 5.5-5.75 but you’ll want to measure. Grab a set of .5” thick 6.5 mdf rings to allow bigger magnet depth, trace and Jigsaw a bigger hole in door that matches speaker mounting diameter and install. And of course ditch rears.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.