Salt 4 on a 16 Sierra

Participant count
  • Participant list

Angel5746

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 16 Sierra with a 400 amp mechman alt on two Agm battery’s. One is a Xs d3400 the other an Auto Zone agm running a salt 4 amp, and 3 sundowon U8’s in my truck. Only have one run of 1/0 OFC from hood to rear seat area for my amp but don’t think im getting the full potential of the amp. Just upgraded from a SIA 3500 because i was clipping thinking the amp was giving its full power but now im clipping on the salt 4. There’s no way my 3 8s are taking the full power of my salt 4. can anyone help me out and tell me why this is happening? Will another run of 1/0 to the amp from my second help? Thank you

New amp, same issue? Very little difference from 3500 to 4000. How long is the run? Not thinking that is the issue. Gains, HU? what HU are you using and are you using an LOC? 4000 watts to 3 U8's surprised the cones aren't stuck to the back of your head!

Last edited:
Do you have the D4 or D2 coils in the subs? Either way there is no way to wire either one to get a 1 ohm load. Do you know how they are wired right now?

New amp, same issue? Very little difference from 3500 to 4000. How long is the run? Not thinking that is the issue. Gains, HU? what HU are you using and are you using an LOC? 4000 watts to 3 U8's surprised the cones aren't stuck to the back of your head!
Yes 3500 and 4000 isn’t a big difference but supposedly the salt is underrated in power. I have an alpine ilx for HU and running rca’s from headunit to rear also running a 4 channel amp for doors also running own rca’s to that amp as well. Yes those U8s are little monsters but do you think the amp is giving its full power?

New amp, same issue? Very little difference from 3500 to 4000. How long is the run? Not thinking that is the issue. Gains, HU? what HU are you using and are you using an LOC? 4000 watts to 3 U8's surprised the cones aren't stuck to the back of your head
True, dual 2s make 0.33. 0.44, .66, 1.336ohms possible... dual 4s make 0.66, 0.88, 1.33 or 2.66
True, dual 2s make 0.33. 0.44, .66, 1.336ohms possible... dual 4s make 0.66, 0.88, 1.33 or 2.66.
the subs are dual 2’s and have them wired to 1.3 ohms

Yes 3500 and 4000 isn’t a big difference but supposedly the salt is underrated in power. I have an alpine ilx for HU and running rca’s from headunit to rear also running a 4 channel amp for doors also running own rca’s to that amp as well. Yes those U8s are little monsters but do you think the amp is giving its full power?
Well. that amp is rated for 1 ohm and the three 8s are a combined 1800 watts RMS so not a compatibility issue. While output is relative to the draw, input is more likely the issue. You could have encountered clipping from any amp if the gains are not set properly. How did you set the gains? How far is the wire run, is it OFC? Are you able to test the voltage at the rear distribution block?

Last edited:
Well. that amp is rated for 1 ohm and the three 8s are a combined 1800 watts RMS so not a compatibility issue. While output is relative to the draw, input is more likely the issue. You could have encountered clipping from any amp if the gains are not set properly. How did you set the gains? How far is the wire run, is it OFC? Are you able to test the voltage at the rear distribution block?
my 4 channel jp234 doesn’t clip. I recently got the amp so i just set the gains by ear and when i see the clip light on the remote i just turn it down. I have 2 runs from the front to back one 4 gauge ofc for the 4 channel and one 1/0 to the salt 4 also ofc run is approximately 17 ft. Don’t have a distribution block in the rear

Okay, is this the amp we're talking about?

1699595155679.png

If so, that could be part of the issue(s). That amp is capable of drawing close to 350 - 400 amps, and that is a boatload of current especially on a 17ft run! changing to this amp from the previous 3500 watt model would only make that worse. Setting your gains by ear or the meter on the remote control knob, with that kind of power, is a little like russian roulette... honestly, assuming a conservative 3% drop, I think you need 4/0 gauge for that kind of run that far away from the source. You should consider a Li-on 2nd battery w/isolator too. Grounding Wire needs to be commensurate with the power too. So, a chunk of 4/0 along with the power for grounding. This is a pretty cool tool for assessing AWG needed.

Wire:

Last edited:
Id be concerned about the enclosure the subs are in as well to get the proper output/performance out of them. Sealed or ported enclosure? Have you done the Big3 yet?

This has happened with two different amplifiers.
You could be fighting a lot of impedance rise with your particular sub and box combination. 1.3 ohms could easily rise above 3 ohms while playing. All of the sudden, your beefy 4k amp is barely making 1500 watts.

This has happened with two different amplifiers.
You could be fighting a lot of impedance rise with your particular sub and box combination. 1.3 ohms could easily rise above 3 ohms while playing. All of the sudden, your beefy 4k amp is barely making 1500 watts.
I hope that’s not the case i was assuming that amp would be over kill luckily i got a REALLY good deal on it

Okay, is this the amp we're talking about?

View attachment 54612

If so, that could be part of the issue(s). That amp is capable of drawing close to 350 - 400 amps, and that is a boatload of current especially on a 17ft run! changing to this amp from the previous 3500 watt model would only make that worse. Setting your gains by ear or the meter on the remote control knob, with that kind of power, is a little like russian roulette... honestly, assuming a conservative 3% drop, I think you need 4/0 gauge for that kind of run that far away from the source. You should consider a Li-on 2nd battery w/isolator too. Grounding Wire needs to be commensurate with the power too. So, a chunk of 4/0 along with the power for grounding. This is a pretty cool tool for assessing AWG needed.

Wire:

I already have a second battery under the hood. But was thinking the same you think maybe an LTO battery in the back would help? Im more inclined to do that than have a 4/0 run under my hood to behind the rear seat area

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...