Blown 9515 what happened?

Scotty2Naughty
10+ year member

Provo, UT
I have a 9515 running off a kicker kx2500.1 yesterday I was playing it pretty loud and the bass just stopped. Today I took it out and the cone is frozen in the down position but I tested the coils and they read fine. What caused it to blow, overexcursion? It never seemed to move very much but I don't know what else it could be.

I have no Idea how I blew it but I have it sitting on the kitchen table right here with the cone stuck all the way down. The subsonic was on and is set at 25hz.

The gains were set via the gain tutorial and turned up just a bit. I playing Get Low for about a minute or two before the sub cut out. I had been messing with my amp wiring earlier because my comp amp was acting funny, maybe one of the coils wiring came loose and I was sending all the power from the amp at 1 ohm to just one of the coils. Everything sounded fine before it blew and I didn't smell any weird smell or anything though.

Even clipping, that driver should not have died with that amp. Clipping alone doesn't damage a driver.
Neil
While this is true, prolonged clipping over a abnormal amount of time could possibly induce enough thermal load on the coils to promote structruial damage to the windings. Remember a clipped AC signal at its extremes can induce a DC signal, But this is of couse an exgagerated event and still probably one of a seires of events that led to the demise of this sub.

While this is true, prolonged clipping over a abnormal amount of time could possibly induce enough thermal load on the coils to promote structruial damage to the windings. Remember a clipped AC signal at its extremes can induce a DC signal, But this is of couse an exgagerated event and still probably one of a seires of events that led to the demise of this sub.
Well, not to disagree, but there is never really any DC signal present. And the voice coil itself does not know the difference between a clipped signal or sine wave; it only sees the average power over time. If the average power over time is the same, the same "structural damage" is done.

Neil

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.