Blow Through in the Rain

UnderFire
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I just got a new truck, and this one isn't gonna have the room for any worthwhile set-up in the cab.

I'm thinking about doing a blow-through with a couple of 15's.

My real problem is I live in Oregon, it rains hard for 6 months out of the year here.

I know MDF doesn't like water, how would I keep it from getting wet and swelling up?

I was thinking a tonneau cover and some bedliner, or if that wouldn't work, covering the MDF in a waterproof material.

Anyone have experience with this?

I'd use plywood instead of MDF. It will still need to be waterproofed,but it will hold up better than MDF if you get a small leak at some point.
I've used all kinds of plywood to build boxes and haven't found one I really like using... I also already have a full sheet of 3/4" MDF in the garage waiting to be made into something.

you can use bedliner on top of resin-coated MDF. resin can waterproof MDF.
the seal you use between the cab and bed needs to be flexible so the two can flex independently.
I will be using a fiberglass or plastic Bed cover, so it won't be directly exposed, just the ocassional raindrops and drips when I have the cover open in the rain for whatever reason.

I will be using a fiberglass or plastic Bed cover, so it won't be directly exposed, just the ocassional raindrops and drips when I have the cover open in the rain for whatever reason.
I was funna say... running subs in the bed without a bed cover.. lmao..I'd lol if i saw that

If you throw a few coats of fiberglass resin on there you could roll without a bed cover/submerge the bish in water and it would be fine lol. just resin then paint or mix paint with you resin and youll be fine!

This is gonna be real prone to jacking //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I would look for a used bed cover or something, then bed line the box. If not then for sure resin and bed line it so it doesnt look so suspicious.

This is gonna be real prone to jacking //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gifI would look for a used bed cover or something, then bed line the box. If not then for sure resin and bed line it so it doesnt look so suspicious.
Box bolted to bed from the inside of the box would make it virtually theft proof

Box bolted to bed from the inside of the box would make it virtually theft proof
Exactly. I'll have at least 8 7/8 inch bolts holding it in, inaccessible from the outside. All they'll be able to see is a black box. There isn't really a theft problem around here anyways.

Ok, good point guys. Where I live they would find a way to jack it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Right..plasma torch that **** out of the bed.

Or just steal the whole **** truck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.