Blew up my Dayton LS10-44

Squirrel!

CarAudio.com Well Known
Feb 26, 2020
Ohio
I'm disappointed. Don't think the amp (Pioneer 5 channel DM-9705) was too much. The sub was valiant though. Listening to PF 'Welcome to the Machine' cranked, the bass was incredible. The smell of voice coil cooking, was in the air! LOL But it kept on keeping on after it cooled down. The bad thing is the cone finally separated from the surround. Looking for a replacement with as high of sound quality as the LS10-44 had. Suggestions? Needs to be a shallow mount. The amp kicks out 600 watts on the sub side and the gains are at factory 'normal' settings so as not to overdrive anything. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ls10-44-10-low-profile-subwoofer-dual-4-ohm--295-251

Last edited:

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
As I mentioned in a previous thread concerning this sub, mine went out as well. Didn’t t clip it and only had 400 watts to it. Coil went bad. It would only play when I applied pressure to the cone. Got it brand new from parts xpress.

Reactions: Squirrel!

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
I'm disappointed. Don't think the amp (Pioneer 5 channel DM-9705) was too much. The sub was valiant though. Listening to PF 'Welcome to the Machine' cranked, the bass was incredible. The smell of voice coil cooking, was in the air! LOL But it kept on keeping on after it cooled down. The bad thing is the cone finally separated from the surround. Looking for a replacement with as high of sound quality as the LS10-44 had. Suggestions? Needs to be a shallow mount. The amp kicks out 600 watts on the sub side and the gains are at factory 'normal' settings so as not to overdrive anything.
they got a 5 year warranty, maybe try to get an RMA before spending money on another sub.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Listening to PF 'Welcome to the Machine'
That one is loud and there's a couple other tracks that go pretty good.
Buy something with more than 250w of power handling.
Not sure what shallow mount sub really can handle a whole lot of power. Probably time to invest more space into a bigger box.
Ya know, I was thinking about doing just that. Just wasn't sure how to say it was a manufacturing defect. :rolleyes: ;)
After you admitted that you were straight up abusing it.

Popwarhomie

10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Sundown SD-4 10" is rated 600 rms.

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
OP's amp is rated for 600w rms. After impedance rise you are right at the rated power handling. Its not a Sundown or other reputable brand that is known for over engineering and under rating. Dayton Audio is no frills US designed Chinese made with slightly above average quality control.

It failed because it's limit was exceeded. Kind of a bummer it's not a better designed product but shallow mount subs are never a good way to go anyway.

OP
S

Squirrel!

CarAudio.com Well Known
Feb 26, 2020
Ohio

Popwarhomie

10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
$289 though...and I want it to sound good along with handling the power spikes.
The SD-4 is an SQ woofer.

"The SD-4 series truly is a world-class sound quality woofer with low mounting depth, small box requirements, and a reasonable price. This line features an under-hung motor topology – this means that the voice coil is shorter than the top plate so the amount of winding in the gap doesn’t change at all over the center portion of stroke – in this case featuring a 1” thick top plate and ½” long 8-layer copper voice coil. This allows for 14.5mm linear excursion one-way while maintaining an extremely flat BL curve. The all new “W” surround design and newly tooled spider work together to create a flat “center” compliance curve which quickly turns progressively stiffer past the linear limits of the motor. This was heavily optimized in 3D computer simulations. This makes the SD-4 significantly more mechanically rugged than the previous generation. To top off distortion reduction features the SD-4 features a shorting ring around the bottom of the pole-piece to even out the LE curve."

Last edited:

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Sundown sd series are far from SQ. Still a daily ground pounder at best in both sealed and ported applications but ive only heard the sd2 and sd3. I highly doubt much changed with the sd4

• Wow

Popwarhomie

10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Under hung, shorting ring, low LE, low MMS, low FS. Everything about it is more "EsssQuee" than the Dayton.

SQ woofer. :whistle:

• Wow

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Never head the low profile dayton i doubt it'll be any better. I guess i just do not like shallow mounts in general

OP
S

Squirrel!

CarAudio.com Well Known
Feb 26, 2020
Ohio
Never head the low profile dayton i doubt it'll be any better. I guess i just do not like shallow mounts in general
Not thrilled with their limitations myself but, I don't like using my whole trunk area for 1 sub, either. ;)

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
I would do SLD ported. SD-4 is designed for sealed according to Jacob. Same with SD-3.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Latest classifieds