Adding a Subwoofer Rav4

Participant count
  • Participants list

Kgveteran

HomeTheater junkie !
So i have been going around with thoughts of upgrading the audio in my “new to me” 2018 Rav4. After weighing up options this is where i am. The only reason i turn it up til it sounds like **** is im missing two or possibly three octaves of tru bass.

i was listening to some Steely Dan and thinking at lower volumes the system sounds fine, I don’t mind the high and I don’t mind the mid range, but I’m turning it up louder to get some bass out of it which just doesn’t have.

i’m going to try just adding a sub woofer by doing this if the bottom two or three octaves are not enough for me I’ll look a little further and maybe retaining the head unit and picking up a DSP and allow me to turn my head unit into a preamp and still use the subwoofer I plan on building…

thoughts ?

do most amps have a remote volume, i need constant adjustability if thats a word, just a little dial 👍🏽

Last edited:
Some factory head units filter out the bass before it even goes to the sub. I would personally replace the head unit first, then add a small sub. Judging by your listening tastes, I’d think an 8 or even 6.5 inch subs would give you the low end you desire.

yea a stock headunit have preset curves to roll off the bass as the volume goes up. You could do a dsp integration to combat that but in my experience it sounded terrible compared to a true clean signal to work with. I bypass the stock HU and just use my rockford 363 controller for volume and bass. I change the music via my iphone and have the option of a 3.5mm plug or BT.

So i have been going around with thoughts of upgrading the audio in my “new to me” 2018 Rav4. After weighing up options this is where i am. The only reason i turn it up til it sounds like **** is im missing two or possibly three octaves of tru bass.

i was listening to some Steely Dan and thinking at lower volumes the system sounds fine, I don’t mind the high and I don’t mind the mid range, but I’m turning it up louder to get some bass out of it which just doesn’t have.

i’m going to try just adding a sub woofer by doing this if the bottom two or three octaves are not enough for me I’ll look a little further and maybe retaining the head unit and picking up a DSP and allow me to turn my head unit into a preamp and still use the subwoofer I plan on building…

thoughts ?

do most amps have a remote volume, i need constant adjustability if thats a word, just a little dial 👍🏽

Get a Pioneer 4 channel amp and a single 10" sub. Use two channels for your front speakers and bridge the other two channels to a sub. A Dayton 10" in a sealed box would probably work for you.

Dont listen to that guy. Everyone else is right
Am i correct that the front door panel speaker is half of a twoway, or is the door full range and the dash is just a tweeter, im a little foggy on the whole layout.

my guess also the back seat two speakers are full range.

i have no Factory subwoofer, only six locations

I did car audio in the late 70’s early 80’s so go easy on this old audio guy Lol

Am i correct that the front door panel speaker is half of a twoway, or is the door full range and the dash is just a tweeter, im a little foggy on the whole layout.

my guess also the back seat two speakers are full range.

i have no Factory subwoofer, only six locations

I did car audio in the late 70’s early 80’s so go easy on this old audio guy Lol
Head unit > switching out speakers. Old school mindset of swapping out speakers do not work because head units do not give a flat signal anymore and aftermarket speakers need a flat signal. The stock head unit has a built in eq curve and high pass filters that chop the signal up completely. So you'll get either the same results or most likely worse by swapping speakers. The issue of the head unit will always cause your system to sound like trash unless its addressed properly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.