Blew My Amp...

Participant count
  • Participant list

flaminphoenix19

Alright now before anyone says I'm a total idiot, I'll say it myself. I can't believe I did this, but I wasn't paying attention and was talking to someone while trying to hurry.

I own a Massive Audio NX4 and it has been a fantastic amp, but while I was fixing some wiring I was going to twist some wires together and accidentally mixed up my sub output wire with the speaker wire that should've gone into my NX4 output. When I went to turn on my car I heard a lot of popping and realized my sub amp was outputting into the output of my NX4 and put it straight into protect mode. Now the amp won't play anything and I am trying to figure out what is wrong.

If anyone has any clue what happened, advice would be great! I am 17 years old and love to work with electronics so I would like to try and figure out what is wrong with it specifically and how to fix it.

Thanks!

Hadn't had time to put one in, my mistake on that part too. I opened up the amp for any sign of burnt components and doesn't seem to be. Capacitors look fine and the only other thing I can think of is possibly the transistors went out.

Can you explain what happened? I know I should've had an in-line fuse, just been busy and I know I made a big mistake not putting one in. Just trying to understand what happened.

A fuse might not of helped anyway. They are more for the cable than the amp. They normally don't pop in time to save the amp. Sounds like you cooked the input section but maybe not. You need a bench to rule out the amp.

Since I put both the outputs of the amps together I figured it would have caused an issue with the impedance or possibly like a feedback problem? Plus I know I'm stupid for not having a fuse, but the problem was caused at the opposite side of where the in-line fuse would have been.

The amp is most likely cooked and even with your interest in electronics you will not be able to repair it yourself (trust me I've been there). It probably took out at least a few output transistors in which case they ALL need to be replaced (they need to all be from the same batch) along with the gate resistors and control IC.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.