Birch enclosures stain color and finish??

I’ve always ignored the paint can over the years where it says to test on a small area first but it really is good advice lol. Really helps in seeing how that exact piece of wood accepts the stain/paint.

Condition the wood before you stain it. And sand in between coats with 000 or 0000 wool fiber. I made some piano black door pods out of MDF. It takes time.
I’ve always ignored the paint can over the years where it says to test on a small area first but it really is good advice lol. Really helps in seeing how that exact piece of wood accepts the stain/paint.

I made some piano black pods out of MDF. They were the first pods that I ever made. It takes time.

20220507_195214.jpg
20220507_195233.jpg

I am waiting for a gp audio, custom enclosure to be made.. Im thinking i want to stain the birch a dark gray color and give it a matte clear Polycrylic finish.. Minwax has a Semi-Transparent stain color Carbonite that i think would look good. I found a soundqubed box with a color that i like.. Ill attach a pic. Was wondering what colors and finishes you guys have used on your birch boxes? Attach photos!! Does anybody know what stain and finish soundcubed used on this box? View attachment 36955
Well what a journey it has been to try to get a custom enclosure made. GP audio screwed me around and backed out on the flat pack Custom Design. By the time I got my money back Tyler had had it for 158 days. I was so pissed cuz I'd already purchased everything in anticipation of my order. In hindsight GP flaking out was probably the best thing that could have possibly happened.
I looked around at several box manufacturers and their prices were either crazy high or quality was sub par or both. One of the guys that responded to this post had a picture of a Next Level box and I looked them up on Facebook and was totally impressed. I contacted Chris and was blown away with his customer service and after a reasonable wait and much conversation My box is now complete and it's supposed to ship out tomorrow. This guy hands down has the best communication of anyone I have dealt with so far in the car audio world. I highly recommend him to anyone considering having a custom enclosure made. His pricing is reasonable and his knowledge and willingness to share it with his customer is truly next level. Not to mention the enclosures. The quality speaks for itself.
Through the whole process with Next Level Fabrications I have not one single complaint. Every question I had was answered within minutes not weeks if even at all. I've also decided to switch to lithium and He is building me a case for an 88 amp hour Headway that will match the beautiful box he has made. Everyone in the car audio business...take a lesson from this young man and treat your customers like your greatest asset!
received_1184158552179075.jpeg
received_3423882394559879.jpeg
received_830757591373279.jpeg
received_666814798399117.jpeg
received_1071450140205078.jpeg
received_1192551144665802.jpeg
received_655091846240848.jpeg
received_5894979067220941.jpeg
received_1086185695408404.jpeg

Last edited:
I am waiting for a gp audio, custom enclosure to be made.. Im thinking i want to stain the birch a dark gray color and give it a matte clear Polycrylic finish.. Minwax has a Semi-Transparent stain color Carbonite that i think would look good. I found a soundqubed box with a color that i like.. Ill attach a pic. Was wondering what colors and finishes you guys have used on your birch boxes? Attach photos!! Does anybody know what stain and finish soundcubed used on this box? View attachment 36955

If you want a darkish finish. There’s a Japanese technique. It’s called Shosugi bon. I think. It’s basically using a torch to lightly burn the wood. Then use a brush to clean it up a bit. Then clear coat it. It should come out like the pic you posted.

If you want a darkish finish. There’s a Japanese technique. It’s called Shosugi bon. I think. It’s basically using a torch to lightly burn the wood. Then use a brush to clean it up a bit. Then clear coat it. It should come out like the pic you posted.

Sounds like what people are doing to finish pallet wood projects like bars and furniture. There's a huge boner for it in the craft/diy scene currently.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...