Bigger amp and epicenter

Mr4ces

Tx
So I listen to a lot of Spanish music and when I run my epicenter up is sounds distorted even at low gain. Would upgrading my amp help instead of using epicenter. I currently have two 6.5 HI Q subs in a ported box powered by a 600rms DD audio amp.

Not sure how you run your epicenter "up"? the Svards are rated to 350 each, 700 a pair. Which DD audio amp and do you know if it is clipping when this happens?

It’s the DD D600 mono amp and is not that it clips bass just sounds like speakers can’t breath or something

It’s the DD D600 mono amp and is not that it clips bass just sounds like speakers can’t breath or something
Well, that's a pretty general term. if you only get this with a particualr genre or source, might consider that as the culprit. Electro-mechanical issues will show up in almost all situations, not specific to one genre, unless you're gains are at the tipping point to begin with and when playing bass heavy music you finally push it into clipping. I'm a proponent of getting amplifiers that are usually double the rated power of the subs used, allows you to dial them back and run the subs at potentially their the full RMS, cleanly.

That particular DD amplifier has a pretty low damping factor if that rating is at 4 ohms, it doesn't specify. That would mean at 1 ohm, you could potentially see a factor of around 30-50, pretty low. Use of small subs in smallish box, will cause greater impedance rise (as opposed to a set of 12's in a large ported box) thereby negating some of the power your have onhand.

I think that while it may not be the issue (it could be), you'd be better off with a STINGER Audio MT10001 ($140) or MT1500 ($160) from Amazon, gains tuned down a bit, allowing for you to run at 1 ohm with headroom to spare which you likely don't have.

Last edited:
So I listen to a lot of Spanish music and when I run my epicenter up is sounds distorted even at low gain. Would upgrading my amp help instead of using epicenter. I currently have two 6.5 HI Q subs in a ported box powered by a 600rms DD audio amp.
Why are you using an Epicenter? Do you think you need bass restoration?

Why are you using an Epicenter? Do you think you need bass restoration?
I only use it in Spanish music I had other systems before and sounded good with epicenter I just never had 6.5 subs so idk if that’s the problem or the amp not having the full amount of rms for subs.

The Epicenter does not give you bass where the music had none to begin with. It is to RESTORE the bass that is already there and help it if it needs help.

Check that music on a different stereo. Is there bass?
Make sure that music is of good recording quality. i.e. not 96Kbps mp3's

Definitely check the recording quality of the music.
You may even want to step up to a larger sub in the future,like a single 1k rms 10 or 12, and more power. Im usually always looking for more in certain areas of my systems after a period of time

Last edited:
Rap music sounds good and bass hits hard and Spanish music well just does not really have bass that’s the reason I got the epicenter
So basically you're trying to add bass into music that isn't really there. I'd say that's a good use of the epicenter. I don't think adding another ~100 wrms is going to make a difference.

Try running some test tone sweeps through the system. Listen for deficiencies or other issues like clipping, distortion, etc. Though it won't be terribly accurate, you can use your phone with a dB meter app to get a rough idea of what is happening. Or, spend a few bucks and get a calibrated mic like a Dayton unit. Plug into your phone and test away.

Using a variety of music is not a great way to dial in and troubleshoot system until you have the fundamentals in place already.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...