Big 3 upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jay80477

Is it normal to have a big 2 upgrade instead of a big 3?I had ordered a big 3 kit from sonicelctronix,went to the auto shop that put engine in my van for me and asked them to do it for me.Now if im correct a big 3 is when you run 1/0 gauge from alternator + to + on battery and -ground to bare metal and engine ground to chassis bare metal.Well in my case they ran the alternator wire to battery but for the negative on battery they ran 1/0 wire to another area on the engine block and thats it .and returned the 3rd wire to me.I have a 2000 chrysler town and country minivan and from what i see is the factory wires for the engine ground and battery both run together from same spot on the engine block.so im trying to figure out if what they did make any difference is it really a big 3 done right or do i need to take it back up there and make them do it right?I have 2 amps and 1 sub and the voltage with van running goes between 13.1v-13.5v I have a 250amp alternator.

Car:2000 chrysler town and country

Head unit:power acoustik ptid-8920b

EQ:Clarion EQS746

Amps:power acoustik R4-1000 reaper 4 channel,Power acoustik R1-4000 mono reaper

Front speakers:Infinity kappa 5x7 2way

Rear speakers:JBL GX963 6x9 3way

Sub:12 inch mofo in a single 1.7 cu ported box

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to ground the engine block to the frame with the third wire, or ground the battery from the frame to the negative on the battery.

well they just ran 1 of the 1/0 gauge wires from where the negative on the battery to the engine block thats it and the alternator to the positive and what amazes me is that they claim to know what the big 3 was.and its a wonder i could tell no difference in my music sound

Id take it back and have them add the third cable. Its not always wired to the frame unless you have a car with a frame, most cars and vans now days are unibody and the ground is ran to the frame/chassis/body usually right next to where the battery is. There definitely is a factory ground from the negative post of the battery to the chassis just follow your leads and see where they go. When I did the big 4 I ran the 1/0 cables and kept the factory ones too. I have a red cable from alt + to bat +, alt case to chassis, engine block to chassis, and chassis to bat -. All the chassis cables are on the factory stud which I brushed off and cleaned really good to get bare metal and used dielectric grease on all connection points.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.