Big 3 upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

shawn0336
10+ year member

i have a dd 9512 and a sundown sae 1200 d. i recently had the big 3 done but in 4 gauge instead of 1/0. im wondering if i upgrade my fuse holder and upgrade my yellow top battery to a kinetik battery it would lower my voltage drops or should i get it re done in 1/0 and upgrade my fuse holder and battery?

unless your alternator is doing over 200 amps there is really no need to replace it to 1/0.

legit ofc 4 gauge is good for I think 160-180 amps. If you're not running more than that, 4 gauge will be doing its job.

Most people just start with 1/0 because the cost isnt that big of a difference and for room to upgrade in the future (1/0 good for 350 amps)

also upgrading your fuse holder shouldn't really change anything. its just a fuse

my grounds are good but my stock alt is 105 amps. my amp cuts off because of voltage drops at times so i was thinking about buying a kinetik battery or upgrading my alt to a 160 amp alt. or adding a battery out back i know its unhealthy or my amp to cut off. i just didn't know if i should upgrade my wire again

have you had the batt and alt load tested?

and with the larger wire that will allow the current to flow more freely, which will help.

personally i would leave the YT under the hood and get a kinetik 1400/1800 to put in the back, or if you have the space pick up one of the deka 9a31s that can be had on here for around 130 shipped.

the stock alt will be fine, mine is only 90 amp and im pushing just over 2k.

redo the big 3 and power run in 1/0 (assuming that the power run is in 4 gauge as well)

and then put the kinetik in the back, and ground it properly with 1/0 making sure to sand down the grounding spot to bare metal.

then just run the power and ground to the amp/s and call it a day.

ok they left the stock power cable on and upgraded the grounds to 4 ga. my alt is under my car and they didn't have a lift. i would have done it myself but i was feeling lazy. ill find the kinetik and see if i can find 1/0 wire for a good price and ill run the battery off my amp ground in the back. its a good ground and was already sanded down.

so you dont actually have the big 3 at all then. you need to make a the alt to battery run. thats likely a big part of your problem.
Definitely. If you don't complete the whole big 3 its not going to make any changes. Need to complete the whole circuit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.