Big 3 upgrade...what gauge?

bigger wire + shorter length = more current.

your alt will be able to charge the battery as fast as it can produce current. there should be ZERO bottlenecking (aside from resistance from the actual metal).

0guage is recommended. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

besides. http://www.weldingsupply.com sells it for $1.25 a foot, so there is no reason why you cant use it.

All the same..
Yeah, but it's soooo purdy... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/silly.gif.3549b64aaa5b6729eb8e865319a3234f.gif

Alright, looks like I'll be putting an order in for 25ft. of 0ga (Knu). Should run me about $50. And advice on crimping the sheit?

Yeah, but it's soooo purdy... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/silly.gif.3549b64aaa5b6729eb8e865319a3234f.gif
Alright, looks like I'll be putting an order in for 25ft. of 0ga (Knu). Should run me about $50. And advice on crimping the sheit?
My advise is to solder on the connectors. Use an air-acetlyene torch. SOLID CONNECTIONS are awxome

Why so much?? You must have quite an engine compartment. I ordered 10ft for knukon and I think i will have some left over. Plus my alternator is on the oposite side of the engine.

yea, pry the crimps apart a bit, then put the wire in, and crimp it back to gether so they overlap a little, and slam with a hammer.

i usually crimp them in a vice if i can. works really well that way too. the rule is - if you can pull it out, you didnt do it good enough.

and the difference between KNU and weldingsupply is very subtle. knu has more strands and has pretty shielding. but you are paying for that - weldingsupply, does what it was made to do and nothing more. you can buy it in a few different colors tho. so its got a few less strands (not as flexible as knu is what that basically means) and it just has a solid shielding (with some more color choices than knu however)

but otherwise, they are just as good as each other as far as elecrticity is concerned.

and yea, 4 guage is practically pointless. most definatly use 0 guage, or dont waste your money. its like an extra few $ for the upgrade from 4, so just get 0.

Why so much?? You must have quite an engine compartment. I ordered 10ft for knukon and I think i will have some left over. Plus my alternator is on the oposite side of the engine.
Alot of members on Maxima.org run several grounding points on the Maxima engine bay that includes more than just the big 3. There are about 10 different grounding points and everyone has reported seeing smoother revs using multiple grounding points.

if you were a freak, you could upgrade EVERY grounding wire AND battery wire and fuse all the + wires you use. but thats overkill. ive heard that upgrading a few more points help the engine and the car overall, but the STEREO only needs those upgrades.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.