Big 3 Question

Lol, some of you audio e-xperts make me laugh... Why would car manufactures put a cable inbetween the alternator and battery that is incapable of carrying the current the alternator is capable of producing, creating an obvious fire hazard? Most cars use a 3ft run or less of 8 awg cable for the alternator positive, which is good for 105 amps... does your cars alternator put out 105 amps? I doubt it, and if it does, it uses 6 awg or better, which is good for 140+ amps. If you want to add (keyword) a huge cable to your alternator, creating more resistence, and more load, and if you aren't fusing (which most e-xperts aren't) your also adding a fire hazard, gj.

Like I said, this applies to stock alternators, any alternator that puts out more than oem, should be upgraded, and even then, 4 awg cable is good for 200 amps in 3 ft runs.

Stop being retarded and trying to catch people on fire.

Lol, some of you audio e-xperts make me laugh... Why would car manufactures put a cable inbetween the alternator and battery that is incapable of carrying the current the alternator is capable of producing, creating an obvious fire hazard? Most cars use a 3ft run or less of 8 awg cable for the alternator positive, which is good for 105 amps... does your cars alternator put out 105 amps? I doubt it, and if it does, it uses 6 awg or better, which is good for 140+ amps. If you want to add (keyword) a huge cable to your alternator, creating more resistence, and more load, and if you aren't fusing (which most e-xperts aren't) your also adding a fire hazard, gj.
Like I said, this applies to stock alternators, any alternator that puts out more than oem, should be upgraded, and even then, 4 awg cable is good for 200 amps in 3 ft runs.

Actually, my stock alt puts out 110a, and I'm fusing a 300a between the alternator and battery.

From the looks of your pics, your stock cable is 4 awg, which will do 150 amps+ CONSTANTLY, which your amp doesn't draw, nor does your alternator put out 110 amps constantly (or ever most likely). Its good that you fused though, although I would use a smaller fuse just to be safe, your battery might not do 300 amps for long enough, as it will take awhile for a 300 amp fuse to heat up enough to pop, in which case your wire might already be melting.

Your a fucking idiot if you think doing the big 3 will add resistance or a larger load. I think you need to do some reading on basic electrical theory before you start running your mouth.

Adding 1/0 to his stock alt wire will only DROP the resistance from the alt to the battery, thus allowing MORE of the current to get there. With the dinky ass stock wires there is a significant amount of loss so even though the alt may be producing 100A, the electrical system is only receiving 90A (just a hypothetical example). Doing the big 3 reduces the overall resistance in the electrical system and if you did it and caught your car on fire then obviously your a dumbass to begin with and need to find a new hobby.

This is ridiculous, I guess there's no point in trying to argue with Internet hypsters... There's no way in hell a 10 amp loss comes from wire, period. The only way an improvment would be found is in fixing corroded terminations... That is all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.