big 3 installation help!

AxT4430
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Akron, OH
Hey All ( anyone who reads this..)

I have a 2002 (7th gen?) honda civic sedan

yellow top optima under the hood with tausami/ jl 4 guage running to a distro in my trunk, and distributing to JBL gto 1004 (4ohmx 2 speakers) and my sub amp autotek 1500.1 (spare, until i can send for my audioque to get fixed)

Now, I upgraded my ground on off of my batt with 4 guage jl wiring i had around, but one question is that I only grounded it to my engine and not to my chasis which originally it was grounded to both.. should I replace so both spots are used as grounds?

2nd issue is that Im kinda lost on how to wire from my alt to battery, and im having a hard time locating the specific wire I need to upgrade

Thanks!

Ill post pics of anything just request it!

the alt wire should be the largest wire coming from the alt , and yes add dont replace all the ground wires to the body and block
can you repeat that last part haha.. are you saying replace my oem ground wire and just add another ground wire? I found a diy for removing the alternator

You should have a wire for both man. Use some 4ga to ground to chassis and the engine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

can you repeat that last part haha.. are you saying replace my oem ground wire and just add another ground wire? I found a diy for removing the alternator
dont take the existing wire off... just make another run so to speak.. so you will have the oem ground which would be like 10 gauge or whatever they use plus your own ground of 4 gauge.. if one ground is good, 2 is better :p

from the alt you should just be able to follow the wire that goes to your battery positive... Then just make another run that either follows that wire, or create your own path if that is easier. Just make sure it connects to your alt in the same spot as the oem cable and make sure it doesnt "ground out" at the case of the alt.. on my camry i had to break a rubber boot and tab to get the bolt to put the wire on. I only had to break it to get the big ring terminal to fit in there nice. you shouldnt have that problem

Lol, il replace it then.. Umm can I use the same grounding spot for my 4 gauge or should I make another? Also, I found my main power wire from alt and took it off, now I need more 4 gauge because my foot long piece would have to rest right above my intake manifold or rest on the metal frame above the radiator ( convection, ahhhh hot!!) but should I just add to what's already existing there.

i would just add.. you can replace if you would rather but the more wire to flow power is better and your kinda shootin yourself in the foot by taking out the oem wire.. also i should add that this wire of the big 3 SHOULD be fused... on my car its not but it should be lol.. and Im not sure what your asking for the same grounding spot on your gauge.. you mean from bat neg to chassis? or bat neg to block? and as far as resting on your intake manifold... mine was the same so i put a small L bracket elbow i had laying around and put that on the bolt of the intake and then rested the wire on that so it was away from the engine...

also adding a fuse (if you do so) would add a few inches of length so it might clear you of your intake manifold.. just a thought without seeing your engine bay..

Lol, il replace it then.. Umm can I use the same grounding spot for my 4 gauge or should I make another? Also, I found my main power wire from alt and took it off, now I need more 4 gauge because my foot long piece would have to rest right above my intake manifold or rest on the metal frame above the radiator ( convection, ahhhh hot!!) but should I just add to what's already existing there.
There are no issue's running around the radiator my fuse block is mounted to my shroud and is perfectly fine and another member here has his mounted up on the engine cover plate along the intake manifold side and it does fine there, the only area to really stay away from is exhaust manifolds.

IMG_20111231_173855.jpg

here's my electrical setup. 0ga running to the engine block under the air filter, one run to the chassis to the right of the batt, and one run from + to the alternator.

IMG_20111231_173855.jpg

here's my electrical setup. 0ga running to the engine block under the air filter, one run to the chassis to the right of the batt, and one run from + to the alternator.
I use that same terminal clamp, i never thought to use the screws instead the designated place to place wire..

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Ground to the frame / chassis and remember your engine / drivetrain is isolated from the chassis of the car by rubber mounts..no good ground there
thats a very good point! ill do that today! thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.