Big 3: Alternator to Battery

TheJuggla1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Surrey BC
If I go to upgrade my Alternator to Battery I was thinking about how small the default wire was on my truck. I am wondering if I should run into any fuses blowing if I were to upgrade this small wire from the alternator to the battery to like say 4 gauge or so?

If I go to upgrade my Alternator to Battery I was thinking about how small the default wire was on my truck. I am wondering if I should run into any fuses blowing if I were to upgrade this small wire from the alternator to the battery to like say 4 gauge or so?
Not at all. It is a good idea to fuse your alt to batt wire for the gauge of wire you're running. If it shorts, you are looking at a dead batt at least and in some cases an exploded batt. A fuse never hurt anybody.

Think I worded that wrong, I meant will this blow any fuses in my system due to more power being sent to the battery? Will this hurt my battery by putting too much charge into it?

Think I worded that wrong, I meant will this blow any fuses in my system due to more power being sent to the battery? Will this hurt my battery by putting too much charge into it?
I understood what you meant and I said no. Power is not "sent" anywhere. It is drawn. You are merely lowering the resistance so less power is wasted. Nobody would recommend doing this if it would cause problems.

i did not use a fuse the alt wire to the battery when i did the big 3 to my car and my old stock alt wire to the battery did not have a fuse but what i would do is add the 4 gauge wire with your stock wire

i did not use a fuse the alt wire to the battery when i did the big 3 to my car and my old stock alt wire to the battery did not have a fuse but what i would do is add the 4 gauge wire with your stock wire
Almost all stock wires have a fuse. Usually it runs from the alt to a fuse box. Telling people not to fuse a wire is irresponsible. If it shorts, what happens? It's fine that you didn't because it might rid the world of one more, but don't recommend other people do the same.

well not all car's have a fuse at the fuse box for the alt. because the 90s jeep grand cherokees dont have them but alot of people dont fuse it and some doso its really up to u if u want to fuse it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.