Best way to stop a ground loop

Participant count
  • Participant list

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So, very old story.. Had a system installed (because I didnt want to rip my car apart, should have done it my self) So after they charged me $400 and didnt even tune anything or check the deck. I also have a grounding loop.. Totally classic , engine/tranny whine through the speakers. I am using all the RCAs on my HU (DEH-80PRS). Is my only option a **** groundloop isolator? or is there a DIY route I can take? Ill have my car apart again to try and find whats rattling in my driver door tomorrow so it will be a good chance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you have any advice that would be awesome,

Thanks

Most common reason for a ground loop is a poor ground. The factory ground for your headunit (the one on the harness) is typically a terrible ground (so much so that in my experience my headunit would shut off because the ground had such high resistance that when it pulled any power the voltage dropped to much at the harness).

First step would be to make a custom ground for your headunit if it wasn't done already. Next would be to ensure the RCA's aren't near the power wire to make sure there is no interference caused by it. If none of this works, it could be your headunit has a blown pico fuse in which case you can "repair" it by grounding the RCA shields to make sure all the RCA's share an equal ground (you get ground loops when your grounds aren't equal).

644225.jpg

Most common reason for a ground loop is a poor ground. The factory ground for your headunit (the one on the harness) is typically a terrible ground (so much so that in my experience my headunit would shut off because the ground had such high resistance that when it pulled any power the voltage dropped to much at the harness).
First step would be to make a custom ground for your headunit if it wasn't done already. Next would be to ensure the RCA's aren't near the power wire to make sure there is no interference caused by it. If none of this works, it could be your headunit has a blown pico fuse in which case you can "repair" it by grounding the RCA shields to make sure all the RCA's share an equal ground (you get ground loops when your grounds aren't equal).

644225.jpg
By god thats a great idea! I have plenty of spare speaker wire that I can wrap around the 3 sets and end it on the HU case.. I hope that fixes it :\ They did some jibber *** setup with still using the factory BOSE amp (connected to the rear RCA outs for the rear stage, then the Hertz EP4 for the front stage....... You know, I wouldn't be surprised all this was caused by keeping that bose amp connected.... But it does give the rear some fill

ur deck is probably toast. send it in for warranty. i swapped rcas on time without even thinking and blew something in the deck trided doing everything and nothing worked.

ur deck is probably toast. send it in for warranty. i swapped rcas on time without even thinking and blew something in the deck trided doing everything and nothing worked.
I bought it from a user who bought it from someone else so its not likely the warranty is still intact. But besides its not that serious, if I have to live with it I will. But there are plenty of things to try.. Like the RCA grounds tied together, or solder the pico if it comes down to it. No biggie //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.