best way to cut speaker rings?

If you don't want to buy one, make one. The key factor is measuring correctly and to the outside of the bit. After you make the jig, do a test piece first to make sure it's the correct radius.

router + jasper jig
x 2k

there is no better way to do it, and it will pay itself off in trade for your frustration in one box...

never use particle board...

do it right, or don't do it at all...unless you're satisfied with spending hours making a circle jig that will work for a few occasions or try to use a jig saw that most likely will give a circle thats too big, too small, or just plain ugly

If you circle too close, especially with woofers, it is hard to get them out.

I like about 1/16" freedom to move the sub so I can get it out rather than "press fitting" it in there.

If you circle too close, especially with woofers, it is hard to get them out.
I like about 1/16" freedom to move the sub so I can get it out rather than "press fitting" it in there.
i agree, but i've never had any trouble yet doing it with exact manufacturer specs...

slides right out, and very, very little play...

...unless you're satisfied with spending hours making a circle jig that will work for a few occasions or try to use a jig saw that most likely will give a circle thats too big, too small, or just plain ugly
Um... all the jigs I have made take less than 10 minutes to cut out and mount to the router. They have all been perfect too. The last one I made can and will be reused and can do from very small circles to 20" cutouts. My homemade is every bit as good as a jasper jig and it's very accurate.

Also, my jigsaw cuts have never been off by more than a 1/16" of an inch and they rarely turn out ugly unless my battery is dying on my ghetto ass jigsaw.

Um... all the jigs I have made take less than 10 minutes to cut out and mount to the router. They have all been perfect too. The last one I made can and will be reused and can do from very small circles to 20" cutouts. My homemade is every bit as good as a jasper jig and it's very accurate.
Also, my jigsaw cuts have never been off by more than a 1/16" of an inch and they rarely turn out ugly unless my battery is dying on my ghetto ass jigsaw.
that may be the case, but you have to agree that it makes a difference how good you are or how much talent you have etc...

if you're a complete rookie, as in this is your first box, it's probably what i've explained...

i've made my own jig as well, and it worked quite well for a few circles but i can honestly say the jasper was worth the twenty something dollars...every penny of it...

I think you are confusing talent with intelligence and patience. My very first jig was made out of cardboard and was spot on. This was also my first time ever using a router.

I agree completely that an impatient idiot would never be able to make things look nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.