Best way for ground wire?

Morphsuit
10+ year member

The bolt I'm using for my ground is pretty big and right now I just have a ring terminal on there that I drilled through the hole to make it bigger.

My question is which of these would make the best ground:

Keep what I have.

Buy a bigger ring terminal and use it.

Make my own ground spot with bolt and nut?

Thanks!

yes choose a solid ground on the frame of the car make a bolt, clean everything off no paint or anything. Also solder the ends on your ring terminals.
Sorry I'm a noob for this question. I think what I'm gonna do is what you said so what do I need to buy to make my own bolt in the chassis?

I would buy a run of 4ga and run it.

But honestly if you are not running that much power then a chassis ground will be fine.

Find a nice spot, sand it down to the bare metal, and do your own nut and bolt ground.. (should be cheaper and still work no problem)

A ground at the battery has always worked best for me. I know that video claims otherwise and maybe in that particular car the frame ground is superior to the battery ground but in my experience the extra ground run has always been worth it. I personally don't see steel having lower resistance than a run of good quality copper wire.

Well it looks like it's down to either just drilling the ring terminal hole bigger to fit the bolt or just make my own ground spot. The ground on the bolt is pretty dang good right now just didn't know if it would be better making my own spot or something.

Hrmm.. I've been wondering this myself. Seems like one of those questions where there is no "Definitive" answer.. there are two schools of thought.

A) Shorter ground = Better.. less resistance = better. (Which is what I do,.. 4 gauge running 2-3 ft to a Chassis 10mm bolt, sanded -- with the terminals soldered with a torch.

B) Run back to the Neg. of Battery no matter how long the run has to be. This makes sense as well as the Neg terminal is the ground that grounds the "most" current.. so with electrical principals in mind it could be argued to be "better".

With me.. I would start with the short 3ft or less ground to a non painted Chassis area with a bolt (no screws, etc.) -- If you experience any issues with noise in the system, clicking, etc.. Then sure.. run the ground to the Battery straight ghetto over the seat out the window etc.. (IE: Do it in 5 minutes ) just to test it. If it resolves your "issues" then run it properly hidden/routed.

Though I don't see any point whatsoever in running an amp ground back to the battery if you are not experiencing any adverse effects from a short ground to the chassis. Why do it otherwise?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.