installing more speakers on a 4 channel

Participant count
  • Participant list

n3w_3ra

I currently have a alpine 4 channel that is 2 ohm stable I have the wires running back behind the headunit into the factory wiring.

I have 2 front door speakers 2 rear door speakers and 2 dash speakers.

Behind the headunit there are only 8 wires 2 for each of the door speakers. So I decided just to hook them up. The dash speakers also work. I'm assuming that the dash and front door speakers are wired together behind the dash. So I'm assuming that those are running at 2 ohms while the rear are running at 4 ohms. Not 100% about that.

Anyways I want too add 4 more speakers to my car 2 more front door speakers and 2 tweeters in the front pillars. If I just run the wires straight back to the amp without wiring will it put out 4 ohms to them or will it lower the impedance?

if they are factory, the dash speakers likely are not full range and have a small capacitor on them for a passive crossover. given the impedance rise of the door woofers, the nominal load on the front channels of the amplifier is still around 4 ohms. are the speakers you have now factory or aftermarket?

if you want to be safe (from an amplifier loading standpoint) then you can combine rear and dash on the rear amplifier channels (run new, dedicated wire to the dash speakers), then all four door woofers and apillar tweeters (with crossovers) on the front amplifier channels.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.