Best Thin Mount subs or5-1/4" mount depth

Participant count
  • Participant list

rick5150

Not 100% on if this is where to post as its my first time here but....

I have a 2003 F350 crew cab with the rear bench seat the simple cheaper box I could buy has a mount depth of 5-1/4"

I listen to mostly hip hop but also classic rock, some dubstep, country...etc

Wondering whats the best option for slim subs or one with 5-1/4" mount depth or less. I was considering getting tone JL TW5v2 with a sealed box but possibly ported (need to talk to the guy get a feel if he's matching it correctly) Ive never had a ported box.

I've owned some varying systems such as a hummer with 2 13"w7's and 2 jl1000's powering them as well as my old truck with two 10"cvx's with only 350rms to each (ext cab)....really looking for something inbetween or similar to the cvx's I'd like to stay with 10's or bigger if possible.

Thx

The Sundown SD-2 10" only requires 4.75" of mounting depth and .5cf sealed or 1.0cf ported. The SD-2 12" only requires the 5.25" of mounting depth and 1.0cf sealed or 2.0cf ported. Either of these will work for you and if you like the JL's then I know for a fact that their 6W3v3 6inch subs get down very nicely and they only require 4.25" of mounting depth. I just put two in a .47cf box tuned to like 32hz or so in my wife's suv and they are VERY nice.....I believe I even did a small review here on them.

The SD-2 12" looks like a great price point as well as i can get a sealed box for $100 that fits in my truck with 1.04cf...still sorta researching that sub...

any reccomendations on a amp?

I'd like to put the full 500rms to it at 4ohms. thinking the old JL audio 500/1v2 if i could find one

I've never gotten crazy into systems myself (shops usually get the job) and I'll be doing the full install myself this time do to budget shouldnt be difficult I'm a electrician and HVAC/R by trade so...and working on the truck definately is not a problem already had the cab off of it!!

But i figure i find an amp rated at 500rms at 4ohms and hook it to this sub at 4 ohms or whats the advantage to getting the dual voice coil 4 ohm version of the sub?

The other thing is i can get a JL HD750/1 for $350 right now...im guessing too much for that 1 12"? so 2 10's on it then?

Last edited by a moderator:
The advantage of the dual voice coil comes into play if the amp you're using puts out more power at a lower impedance then you could wire the dual 4 ohm load down to a single 2 ohm and get more power out of the amp. It just gives you greater wiring options but it really depends on the amp as far as the benefits come and go. If I remember correctly all JL amps have regulated power supplies so they will put out the same power no matter what the impedance 1ohm through 4ohms so the JL amps you mentioned should work just fine also. If you gonna stay with the one 12" sub that 500/1v2 is just fine, I would a see if I could find a new or used Sundown 125.2 and run it mono into that single SD-2 12 dual 2ohm for a perfect match also and if you can't find one either of the two other amps you mention would work just fine....

I ended up buying the JL HD750/1 for $340 couldnt turn that deal down...so Im thinking I'll get that sundown sd 12" just not sure what will be better the dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm or in other words being able to run either 1 ohm and 4 ohm......or 2 ohm and 8 ohm

I was orignially thinking 4ohm would be best since I'll be overpowering that sub with my amp...i know the amp puts out really clean power so....any knowledge on this?

whatya think i should run 2ohm or 4 ohm?

2ohm load=more power to sub basically right?

4ohm load=less power to sub

my subs rms is rated at 500 and peak of 1000

my amps rated at 750rms on all loads

so be safe and run it at 4ohm or since my amp is stable at 2 as well just run it at 2?

doess this matter as far as not blowing the sub?

im all sorts of confused now

Great choice in amps, do this seeing as how you will only be running one subwoofer. Get the SD-2 12" with dual 2ohm coils, that way you can wire the sub so that your amp will see a single 4ohm load. That amp puts out the same power regardless of the impedance load from 1.5ohms all the way up to 4ohms so there is no need to run the lower load of 2ohms, you amp will run cooler and not have to work as hard for the same results.....Jacob designs his subs pretty robustly so I wouldn't be afraid to run that 750 watts on the SD, especially in a sealed box. I think that sucker is gonna hammer for ya.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.