Boston G3 vs Fi Q

ckunke002
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I currently have a Boston G3 12 which is a great sub, but is only rated for 350rms and i want to go bigger. I'm attracted to sound quality subs, i've been looking and ultimately decided on a Fi Q... do any of you have experience with both subs for a comparison? The Q is rated for like 1400rms or something so it's expected that it would hit a lot harder.

I also have a 2 cube ft. box tuned at 34 hz for my g3, if I were to sell it for a Q would I be better off getting a small sealed box or using that ported box? Some people have said it works best in a sealed box but i'm not sure, and might have a hard time selling that box.

Any experience with the sub, both subs, and box scenarios please leave a comment //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

A ported box will have more output. Not sure how that sub will respond in that box in your vehicle however.

What are your goals? If it were me I would build a new ported enclosure and throw more power at the Q. If you do that it will walk all over the G3 in every way.

What are your goals? If it were me I would build a new ported enclosure and throw more power at the Q. If you do that it will walk all over the G3 in every way.
The thing is, the box i have for my G3 is a professionally built high quality box, and i've never built a box in my life. On top of that the box dimensions for the g3 and q are basically the same from what i've seen. And i would of course sell my amp and not send only 400w to the q.

The thing is, the box i have for my G3 is a professionally built high quality box, and i've never built a box in my life. On top of that the box dimensions for the g3 and q are basically the same from what i've seen. And i would of course sell my amp and not send only 400w to the q.
There builders on here that do great work

Also, if you take a sub (like the q) rated for 14 or 1500 and underpower it with around 1000, will that be a bad thing? Like would it operate as effectively as a sub rated for 1000 that is getting it's rms met?

But i'm still not understanding why I should get a new box, when the one I have is really good and is in the same cu ft range and port freq as both subs

Volume might be similar but the Q will require more port area. What are the specs of the enclosure that you have?

i don't remember everything, but i bought it on here last year from dc creations. it is 2 cubic feet tuned to 34 with a flared precision port though.

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

But i remember cutting the port to a length that was supposed to yield 34 hz tune with the particular box, and if that sub works with 34 hz how is that a problem?

i don't remember everything, but i bought it on here last year from dc creations. it is 2 cubic feet tuned to 34 with a flared precision port though. 

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

But i remember cutting the port to a length that was supposed to yield 34 hz tune with the particular box, and if that sub works with 34 hz how is that a problem?
Port area and port tuning are two very different things. What is the diameter of the aero port?

Port area and port tuning are two very different things. What is the diameter of the aero port?
4" im pretty sure, not at home right now though it might be 3. How would one figure out what port area they need depending on their sub

I currently have a Boston G3 12 which is a great sub, but is only rated for 350rms and i want to go bigger. I'm attracted to sound quality subs, i've been looking and ultimately decided on a Fi Q... do any of you have experience with both subs for a comparison? The Q is rated for like 1400rms or something so it's expected that it would hit a lot harder.
I also have a 2 cube ft. box tuned at 34 hz for my g3, if I were to sell it for a Q would I be better off getting a small sealed box or using that ported box? Some people have said it works best in a sealed box but i'm not sure, and might have a hard time selling that box.

Any experience with the sub, both subs, and box scenarios please leave a comment //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I had a Boston G5 10 incher which is one generation before the G3 and let me tell ya... Boston's power rating for their subs is very conservative. I gave my 10 inch G5 **** near double the rated power and it's pretty happy.

FYI the G3 and G5 has 3" peak to peak excursion.

^^ thanks for the advice! I'll probz hold onto my G3 for quite a while longer. If yall had to guess, what should I expect in changes if I were to move from a g3 with 500w in a good ported enclosure to a Q in a homemade sealed box with 1k-1,200w? In terms of everything, sq, spl, tightness/accuracy, boominess.. all of it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.