Best SQ 8" Woofer?

Disarmer
10+ year member

Mexia
I posted this over on DIYMA a few days ago, so sorry for those of you who browse both. I would just like to know if there are any differing opinions over here.

Looking for something to fill in my lows. Currently running SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4 and SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G active for my front stage.

I have very little room to work with and want to save as much of that cargo space as possible. Looking for the best SQ 8" woofer that will work well off ~400rms or less in a sealed box. Not looking for crazy loud, just want great lows.

Currently looking at: Sundown SD-2 8, JBL GTO-804, and the ID8. Are there any others I should be looking at? What would you guys suggest in this situation?

I'm coming from a couple SA8v.2's which I loved, so I like the idea of the SD-2. The SA8's were built great and were loud as hell, but are just too **** big and don't provide the SQ I want (nor do they do well sealed).

Also thinking about the ID8 because I have enough space and power that I think I can squeeze two of them in there and power them properly (whereas I'd be underpowering two SD-2's so I'd just stick with one).

Thanks for any help.

I have strong doubts 1 or even 2 sealed 8s are going to do anything significant for low frequency reproduction on low power. Without the aid of a tuned port you have to make that cone move a lot farther, and if a high excursion 8" like SA8 is out then you're definitely talking about greatly reduced output down low.

Then again, my experience with 8s is very minimal. When space is tight I have opted to use shallow larger subwoofers.

Epic 8 is probably a good idea for your requirements. I think they may be on sale atm as well. No experience with the id8 but love the idq so it is probably decent at the least

Have no doubts the ultimo would be great as well

I have strong doubts 1 or even 2 sealed 8s are going to do anything significant for low frequency reproduction on low power. Without the aid of a tuned port you have to make that cone move a lot farther, and if a high excursion 8" like SA8 is out then you're definitely talking about greatly reduced output down low.
Then again, my experience with 8s is very minimal. When space is tight I have opted to use shallow larger subwoofers.
That's one of the reasons I'm considering the SD-2... same surround and close to the same build as the SA8, but under hung design and optimized for small sealed boxes. Should do just fine on the low end. I've also read that the ID8's are great on the low end, but don't take as much power. Either way, I do plan to stick with an 8 of some kind.

Thanks for the suggestions of the Epic. I'll check it out more. Unfortunately, the Morel is probably out of the price range at this point. Maybe sometime in the future.

I'd say go with the SD-2, I have 3 running on about 1200 watts in 1 cube net. They have good output, get low for 8's and sound great, for the money and running sealed I don't know if there is an 8 that can beat them. Sundown is currently doing a preorder sale for the new SD10s that will have a similar underhung motor design.

Epic 8 is probably a good idea for your requirements. I think they may be on sale atm as well. No experience with the id8 but love the idq so it is probably decent at the least
Have no doubts the ultimo would be great as well
Ditto. Had 1 epic 8 sealed in a .45 cube prefab it got low and loud. Best sounding 8 I've ever had.

There are a ton of reviews on the SD-2 8s over on DIYMA for SQ in sealed enclosures. They have become very popular with SQ fans //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I second on the epic 8s. If they are anything like their larger cousin, the tc2000 12s, that I am currently running, you will be very pleased. I have never had sealed subs dig as low as these do.

There are a ton of reviews on the SD-2 8s over on DIYMA for SQ in sealed enclosures. They have become very popular with SQ fans //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Oh trust me, I have read almost all of them. I'm very close to buying one, but I've just started reading about the SD-3 with the new surround and am tempted to wait on that one. I know you guys have been doing a ton of testing on the new versions so I'm sure they'll be great (although I know the 8 won't be a whole lot different).

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming. Still haven't decided for sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.