Best sound quality full range 6.5 speakers

burnzy2191

I just bought a 07 Pontiac Solstice as a 2nd car and I want to replace the speakers. It has separate tweeters so I am thinking components. I only want to do the right and left speakers and no sub. I don't mind spending more on speakers but I don't want to spend any more than I have to on the amp.

Most aftermarket replacement speakers will not even come close to having the amount of bass the factory speakers produce just to warn you.
Very true I have experienced that several times when I upgraded, why is that tho?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true I have experienced that several times when I upgraded, why is that tho?

aftermarkets are mainly midrange speakers not fullrange. Even the coaxials are midrange and tweeter.

Full range means they play subsonic bass too down to 30hz. However they give up a little bit of loudness and overall sound to do so. They are made of cheap paper cones with very small light voice coils as well basically geared for boom rather than any sort of clarity.

Best aftermarkets can do is offer midbass which is 60hz and up but that requires acoustical door treatments, turning your door into a speaker enclosure, a lot of amplifier power, a bandpass crossover with adjustable slope and some time alignment. Aftermarkets are always meant to be paired with a subwoofer, there's no way around it unless your bass expectations and preferences are near zero.

Most people have ZERO clue how to sound good and they think swapping speakers will be a direct upgrade without needing to do anything else... lmaoo far from the truth. If you go aftermarket, you need to go balls deep for any real form of upgrade or else you'll be playing the speaker swap game and feeding other people misinformation from your own lack of knowledge on how to set things up right. Mainly by talking sh*T on otherwise good speakers but in your own install, you failed to do a proper install which gave you garbage results however you blame the equipment for it.

aftermarkets are mainly midrange speakers not fullrange. Even the coaxials are midrange and tweeter.
Full range means they play subsonic bass too down to 30hz. However they give up a little bit of loudness and overall sound to do so. They are made of cheap paper cones with very small light voice coils as well basically geared for boom rather than any sort of clarity.

Best aftermarkets can do is offer midbass which is 60hz and up but that requires acoustical door treatments, turning your door into a speaker enclosure, a lot of amplifier power, a bandpass crossover with adjustable slope and some time alignment. Aftermarkets are always meant to be paired with a subwoofer, there's no way around it unless your bass expectations and preferences are near zero.

Most people have ZERO clue how to sound good and they think swapping speakers will be a direct upgrade without needing to do anything else... lmaoo far from the truth. If you go aftermarket, you need to go balls deep for any real form of upgrade or else you'll be playing the speaker swap game and feeding other people misinformation from your own lack of knowledge on how to set things up right. Mainly by talking sh*T on otherwise good speakers but in your own install, you failed to do a proper install which gave you garbage results however you blame the equipment for it.
lol great explanation

Now you have me thinking I should wait until the stock speakers wear out. They are 10 years old now. The reason I'm on here asking instead of demoing for my self is where I live the shops are limited in variety especially on the high end. I will have to have a installer look at my car to see if he can fit a sub behind the seat. If I were to get a sub what 6.5" speakers should I look at. Its been 10 plus years since I shopped for car audio my favorite was Boston Acoustics Z/Pro, Infinity perfects, and Alpine type-R.

Now you have me thinking I should wait until the stock speakers wear out. They are 10 years old now. The reason I'm on here asking instead of demoing for my self is where I live the shops are limited in variety especially on the high end. I will have to have a installer look at my car to see if he can fit a sub behind the seat. If I were to get a sub what 6.5" speakers should I look at. Its been 10 plus years since I shopped for car audio my favorite was Boston Acoustics Z/Pro, Infinity perfects, and Alpine type-R.
There are a few that make direct aftermarket replacements. Focal is one of them. They will be better then stock but if you are going to spend that much just do it right the first time.

I was gonna say find some pioneer or what ever that say they play to 35hz or so (what I have) 6.5 wont really play that without blowing up but anyway I'm saying buy cheaper coax speakers u could even leave factory tweet and with the coax will have 2 tweets per door (i did been working 8 yrs) for say $60 and get 4 channel amp and a 10" sub or whatever will fit., run 2 channels of amp to speakers 2 channels to sub.. sound loud better than spending $500 on comps.. like he said depends what u want say by the end of summer if u spend lot of $ on comps and then want bass u still gotta get sub and amp coulda saved some $ on speakers. unless u can tell the difference in speakers it wont matter (some of these guys can but I can't see $300-$1000 for comps unless u are competing, then again I'm 1/2 deaf from working at stereo shop lol)..

I was gonna say find some pioneer or what ever that say they play to 35hz or so (what I have) 6.5 wont really play that without blowing up but anyway I'm saying buy cheaper coax speakers u could even leave factory tweet and with the coax will have 2 tweets per door (i did been working 8 yrs) for say $60 and get 4 channel amp and a 10" sub or whatever will fit., run 2 channels of amp to speakers 2 channels to sub.. sound loud better than spending $500 on comps.. like he said depends what u want say by the end of summer if u spend lot of $ on comps and then want bass u still gotta get sub and amp coulda saved some $ on speakers. unless u can tell the difference in speakers it wont matter (some of these guys can but I can't see $300-$1000 for comps unless u are competing, then again I'm 1/2 deaf from working at stereo shop lol)..

Definitely just you. Everyone i've demo'd my active network setuo to can literally hear the difference in quality of music in my car vs their normal component or coax setup. Theres the right way and the wrong way to the path of higher end SQ. It doesnt have to be expensive either. My stuff costs a fraction of what others spent and utterly destroys them because they have no clue how to tune properly.

Lots of expensive wasted potential setups out there due to ignorance and lack of knowledge

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.