Best places to get fiberglassing supplies? Best Brands?

I second US Composites, otherwise a lot of marine supply places have fiberglass stuff. Auto parts stores may have some stuff as well, but often not of great quality. I've heard of some people getting resin from Home Depot and liking it, and I've heard others trash talk the stuff. Dunno. I like US Composites.

we have good resin and some cheap bondo at fleet farm where i work so id get that. but the mat we have doesn't look any better than stuff ud find at walmart... :/ also how do you control how shiny the final finish is? i want it to look clean but i want it to be a kind of smokey black color.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

^^^ does that have more to do with the paint or the way you finish it?

we have good resin and some cheap bondo at fleet farm where i work so id get that. but the mat we have doesn't look any better than stuff ud find at walmart... :/ also how do you control how shiny the final finish is? i want it to look clean but i want it to be a kind of smokey black color. 

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

^^^ does that have more to do with the paint or the way you finish it?

This is all about prep and finish work. Painting requires a decent amount of sanding in various steps.

I'm going for either the the dull black or the grey in the lower part of this picture. trying to make it look clean. i know it won't look exact because its fiberglass and thats plastic. but as close as i can get it.

I use the cheap Bondo resin and whatever mat that is in the little bags next to the resin,at Home Depot. It's not likely to get wet inside the car,but I've made seat pans and fenders for my Triumph using the same stuff and never had water issues with it. And if I needed color on the piece,after sanding it to smooth,I resined on some T shirt material of whatever color I wanted at the time.

how glossy or "shiny" your final piece will be, is dependant on your actual finishing work (sanding, prep, paint, clear)... if you dont want it to extremely glossy, you can use a matte paint and matte clear. however, this doesnt mean that you wont want to get your filler as smooth as possible, cuz you will... but generally speaking, the smoother you get your final filler, the easier it is to get a really nice gloss look when it comes to paint, or a really good matte look...

basically, it really depends on your painr.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Also, Rage is probably one of my favorite brands... lays easy, sands pretty well, doesnt bulk too bad

I like US Composites. Good products, good prices, and good customer support.

i've used B-440 and B-404 resins.

I don't use the Bondo resin anymore -too waxy and doesn't soak in well. sometimes you want wax, sometimes you don't. you choose the type of resin for the job at hand.

don't forget to pick up some fiberglass rollers and soak them in alcohol between uses.

always remember to tear the fiberglass mat, never cut the mat. i prefer working with 3/4oz and building layers.

I like US Composites. Good products, good prices, and good customer support.
i've used B-440 and B-404 resins.

I don't use the Bondo resin anymore -too waxy and doesn't soak in well. sometimes you want wax, sometimes you don't. you choose the type of resin for the job at hand.

don't forget to pick up some fiberglass rollers and soak them in alcohol between uses.

always remember to tear the fiberglass mat, never cut the mat. i prefer working with 3/4oz and building layers.
B-440 is no more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.