Best JL sub set up for a 500/1

60_cent
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
atlanta, GA
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YO ARE GOING TO TALK ABOUT OTHER BRANDS....

I'm finishing up my new install be need suggestions on a JL sub set up to run off a 500/1. I've emailed Jl several times and haven't gotten a response yet. The set is going in my Legend. Right now I'm leaning towards two 8w7's in an ported box but I'm starting to have second thoughts. My other choices is a single 10w7, 12w7 or a 13w6v2.

I know that the w7's will sound great but not sure if two 8w7's will give me enough spl...

discuss

i dont think you will be happy with only 500 watts on any of those woofers. i would really look into a different woofer, maybe a 12w6v2 ported.
your suggestion sounds good, but i heard from someone who had a 12w6v2 that it didnt sound good at all in a ported, so he went back to sealed. im not sure if this is true or not just what someone posted about their sub.

your suggestion sounds good, but i heard from someone who had a 12w6v2 that it didnt sound good at all in a ported, so he went back to sealed. im not sure if this is true or not just what someone posted about their sub.
they sound good ported as long as the box is correct. the JL woofers king of concern me though. the w6v2 and the w7 are the only ones i would consider in any install, and thinking about it, i remember help doing an install where the 500/1 just didnt make the 12w6v2 shine in a sealed box. i ran it with a 1000/1 in my old car, but when thinking about it i remembered the 500/1 experience.

my single w6v2 sound really nice only running 250 watts to sounded even better with 500. The set up I heard with the w7 was a poor one so I couldnt give you a good comparison

The truth behind JL's top two in the sub lineup. I've had 13 12 n 8w7, good friend has the 10 in h.o. box, I've had 13 12 n 10w6v2's, (2 of each everytime) W7's are JL's all out spl woofer with exceptional sq, not the best by far though. The w6v2 is the ultimate in sq woofer and also extremely loud, louder than I really want, but I love loud clear clean music and I sold off the w7's and put my two 12w6v2's back in my ride. They were on a 1000 watt xtr 2250 for years. Played grand. Sealed box also. Then I put them on a 500/1 and they were 95 percent as loud as on the orion 95 percent of the time. Selling the orion amp and gonna keep the 15 year younger amp. The key to the 500/1 and the dead truth is proper setup of every adjustment to have a seriously powerful little 550 watt amp. I thought the 500 wasn't that great til i had finally set it properly and then I'm still in awe of how close to the 1000 watt amp it sounds.

Also, why run a sq speaker in a porteed box? Meaning a w6v2, these things are amazing in sealed enclosures, I would never recommend one in a ported box, just cuz of how accurate they truly are. Also two 12w6v2's on a 1000/1 are louder than a 13w7 85 percent of the time. I know i tested them, most of the time the 12's were a clean db over where the 13 was. Also the 12's are way cleaner sounding, and faster punchier all the t ime compared to slow fat 52 pound 13w7. That sub is built to spl and seriously low long notes in rap music. For punchy beats that thing spits n sputters compared to the 12's. Anyways just my opinion the 12w6v2's are the best sub out there for spl and sq. Also the 10's are sickening, they had close to 4 inch excursion at 10 to 25 hz in a ported box. The w6v2's that is. Also the 8w7 is extremely clean and very low bass, a silly woofer with amazing power for a single 8 sub. If you want the best w6v2's take the cake and aren't beat out in power by the w7's, them 12's were on atleast 1000watts for years and never flinched at it. But 500 clean unclipped well adjusted to the box watts will produce very similar results with less electrical draw on your vehicle. Any questions, comments, feel free to email dan at lanaAlumpy@yahoo.com

Orion xtr 2250 flawless amp for sale and two 13w6v2's also, all in show condition. Also listed on ebay.

All w7's were in JL' prowedges except the 8 was in the h.o. The 12w6's in a sealed box to spec. (the best by far) and the tens were in a slot port to spec. Very loud clean bass but I love sealed best. The 13w6's are in the process of getting a sealed box made. If you buy w6v2's do yourself a favor and go sealed box to spec. and you will know why I told you so. Also a 500/1 is a great match to any w6v2 and you will not be underpowered by no means with this amp on these subs. You can get a 1000watts if youwant or if you have it that will work great also. The JL amps need to be tuned properly I cannot stress this enough or you might as well throw a junk amp on the subs. The JL amps are precision made and need precision tuning and they will be the best choice if used properly. If your a novice you'd be better with an amp with the least knobs. Set the gains right too. JLAUDIO.COm will show you everything I told you. Its the only way to do it right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.