Best components for $350 and under?

Nicky Pass
10+ year member

Chicago
I have a 2006 F150 and I just installed a Kenwood DDX-514 and I'm bit by the audio bug again. I really only know the mainstream old school stuff. I used to have a JL Audio 10W7 with a 500/1 and JL Evolution 6.5 components and 5.25 coaxes off of a 300/4. I sold it all to to get in to my 2003 Cobra, so I've been out of the game since 2003-ish.

I was thinking Focal or Image Dynamics because a couple of years ago, they were top dogs. I am open to suggestions. I want to spend around $350 topps. I'm goinf to try and find a JL 500/5 to do the whole system.

I have:

Kenwood DDX-514

I want:

JL Audio 500/5 or Alpine PDX5

Components....?

Since its an extended cab truck, I think I'll skip rear fill

Subwoofers:

JL Audio 10W0 v2 under the rear seat.

There quite a few nice sets in that range: Alpine type x pros, CDT ES-620Z, ID CSX62 V.2 to name a few. Depending on what kind of sound you like Focal & Boston might be something to consider as well.

If a pdx-5 w/ a couple months of play is of interest, just let me know, I got one to unload for $300.

I listen to most rock and heavy metal. I need some nice tight mid bass. I love when you can feel the snap of a snare drum. I forgot about Rainbow!

^^^^yes install does equal speaker,

I useing the cdt audio 62i mids which i didnt think i would like in a 2 way set up, but i'm starting to like more & more each & every day, The ES line isnt made by Vifa or peerless.

Nicky Pass i would look into the Rainbow kicks, but ddont forget about deadener.

^^^^yes install does equal speaker,
I useing the cdt audio 62i mids which i didnt think i would like in a 2 way set up, but i'm starting to like more & more each & every day, The ES line isnt made by Vifa or peerless.

Nicky Pass i would look into the Rainbow kicks, but ddont forget about deadener.
You mean the HD-6, ES-6, ES-06 or ES-600 mids? (the 62i isn't a mid its, mid (6) + tweet (2) + x/over (i) combined)

I recently got the Focal 165KR right about your range. Love them! Many find the Focals a bit bright for their taste, but now that I have them broken in, I dont think they are harsh at all. Also, the dealer mentioned that the new tweeter has smoothened the highs since last years models.

Don't order from wooferestc. After the fiasco another member has been through this past week, they won't get anymore of my money and I will tell everyone on here not to buy from them. I also don't recommend CDT. I used to run the ES-620s and they were okay, but I feel you can do better for the money. The ID comps or Hertz, DLS or Dynaudio would be on my short list if I was going for a passive set again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.