Best choices for double dinn head unit

Essex23

CarAudio.com Newbie
So right now I have a 2011 Altima coupe that still has the factory stereo in it. I would like to replace it with a good double dinn unit, but am not sure what a good one is. Whenever I try to google what some of the top options are, I get the same results…the top unit is some Pinoeer unit that is almost $900 and hard to find. I don’t know that I need something like that.

I have done some reading up and can say this…I am not thinking I need an amp, not planning on running a sub-woofer, and will likely be going with a set of Focal 6.5” component speakers. My main concerns are being able to play the music on my Android phone and display navigation from it through it via Bluetooth, hook up a backup camera, and obviously put out some good sound.

I listen primarily to hard rock/metal/symphonic metal (Metallica, Nightwish, Babymetal, Band Maid, etc…) and love great bass and being able to hear all the different layers to musical compositions…so something that fits this description would be great. I’d love any suggestions or recommendations that people vastly more in the know than I am could toss my way.

Good luck trying to find stock right now, the chip shortage has hit head units something fierce. Right now head units that are normally 200 dollars are going for 4-600 dollar on eBay and other places including car sites.

Stick with the name brands, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony and stay away from the Chinese android junk units.

Good luck trying to find stock right now, the chip shortage has hit head units something fierce. Right now head units that are normally 200 dollars are going for 4-600 dollar on eBay and other places including car sites.

Stick with the name brands, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony and stay away from the Chinese android junk units.

This^^

Bought a 1500NEX cause it was on the only DD in stock that wasn't Boss. Want to upgrade it and still can't find anything in stock.

I get that there is a chip shortage. That's not news to me....been dealing with that with my latest PC build and getting a new video card.

What I need are recommendations of head units to look into. I tend to read up on things extensively before buying, so I am not going to be going out tomorrow and getting something. I'd like to know what some good models are to consider investing in.

You were given a list of reputable brands above, from there you can go to their websites and compare models to see what unit fits your needs and is within your budget since we don't know what you are looking to spend.

Since you "tend to read up on things extensively before buying" this should be right up your alley.

You were given a list of reputable brands above, from there you can go to their websites and compare models to see what unit fits your needs and is within your budget since we don't know what you are looking to spend.

Since you "tend to read up on things extensively before buying" this should be right up your alley.

But as someone who is new to all this, I don't know what I need...and my prior efforts all just kept popping up the same unit(s) that are either unavailable or cheap Chinese junk units. That's why I was looking actual user recommendations.

Giving someone a list of manufacturers is nothing...I already knew what the reputable brands were. I need help figuriung out what some good models are based on what I listen to and how built-out I want my cars system to be. That's why I was so detailed in that regard.

But as someone who is new to all this, I don't know what I need...and my prior efforts all just kept popping up the same unit(s) that are either unavailable or cheap Chinese junk units. That's why I was looking actual user recommendations.

Giving someone a list of manufacturers is nothing...I already knew what the reputable brands were. I need help figuriung out what some good models are based on what I listen to and how built-out I want my cars system to be. That's why I was so detailed in that regard.

You may think you were "so detailed" but you left out the most important details..

Budget??

what components are you gonna be running by Focal? a 149.99 entry level set or 3000.00 high end set?

Are your doors gonna be treated at all?

Reason why this is important is because if your running entry level components with a poor install its not gonna sound good no matter what deck you buy..

I'm not worried about a budget....money isn't a concern for me.

The Focal speakers I am looking at are:

Focal IS165, 140W 2-way coax speakers, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O01NOO/?coliid=I2HY1747UDVF56&colid=2CUCECNSIT3V&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

-or-

The Focal 165A1 SG, 120W 2-way component system, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0GHZ26/?tag=caraudiocom-20

Both speaker options came highly recommended by several people who I spoke to initially just about speakers and what my plans are. Still learning about what crossover means in terms of audio, so I am keeping both in consideration until I have a little more information. I hadn't planned on treating my doors because I honestly don't know what that is. But after looking it up...I might. lol

The one head unit that keeps coming up at one of the best when I do some reading around seems to be the Pioneer AVH-W 4500nex...and paired with a good backup camera (haven't started looking into those yet). But that unit is $800-$900, and while it does look impressive, I'm not sure I need that much of a head unit. If it is indeed one of the better ones to consider though, I would happily get it.

This^^

Bought a 1500NEX cause it was on the only DD in stock that wasn't Boss. Want to upgrade it and still can't find anything in stock.

whats YOUR experience with that head unit? I had it for 2 years & am changing it out for an Alpine iLX-407. My issues with the pioneer 1. sometimes, I turn the car on, head unit doesnt come on (Had to restart the car several times to get it to come on) 2. last straws: A. turns on, goes to radio preset & lowers volume. B. plug in USB for android auto, it pops up briefly then I have to go through the radio function to display the android auto. C After starting up, I get a black screen with "objects may be reversed"!

Never have I ever changed out a head unit for any reason other than to upgrade...not it took a shyt on me. (was this experience just me?)

whats YOUR experience with that head unit? I had it for 2 years & am changing it out for an Alpine iLX-407. My issues with the pioneer 1. sometimes, I turn the car on, head unit doesnt come on (Had to restart the car several times to get it to come on) 2. last straws: A. turns on, goes to radio preset & lowers volume. B. plug in USB for android auto, it pops up briefly then I have to go through the radio function to display the android auto. C After starting up, I get a black screen with "objects may be reversed"!

Never have I ever changed out a head unit for any reason other than to upgrade...not it took a shyt on me. (was this experience just me?)

Hitting next track or previous doesn't work alot of times. Touch screen is finicky. Sometimes holding volume up works and sometimes I have to tap it to raise the volume.

Head unit lags at times.
Have started car and had just black screen a few times.

Might take look at the coming Alpine ilx507, I'm considering it for wife's Tacoma. Someone mentioned before, if you're not going to run an amp, I would at least consider some sound deadening.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...