Best car audio wires?

all i got to say is zane knows his **** and i do agree with what he says why waste extra money on wire all i ever do is make sure its oxygen free and its all good from that poin on.

Originally posted by audiolife and i still want to hear zanes and jlaines opinion of quality wire(as it is stated with knowledge) connectors to a degree help but are only as good as their weakest link....but are you saying there isnt grades of cooper - to- durability for cars?
Well, I will lay it out for you too; allthough jlaine has pretty well done this allready. I also believe that run of the mill lamp wire or basic 5.99/roll speaker wire is of the same quality as thier more costly counterparts.

You may refer to my previous posts regarding the connectors issue, as I feel I have allready covered that area quite well.

My Chemistry is a bit rusty, but I will give this a shot....

True, there are different grades of copper, simply based on the iron, oxide, and sulphide contents. Most copper is mainly iron in raw form before reducing it to a more pure state.

The breakdown comes by reducing a copper sulphide with a copper oxide. The formula, I believe, would look something like this:

2Cu2S + 3O2 ----> 2Cu2O + 2SO2

Typical production copper is basically developed this way, therefore, the actual portion of the copper used in electrical wire is virtually the same; leaving no audible difference evident whatsoever.

take it easy,

-zane

One thing my pops taught me about car audio...wire is wire. Seeing as he installed my first system with me, taught me lots, and was going to college to become a Electrical Engineer at NCSU for 2 years, I think that he would know. No matter what name is on it, it will work just fine.

the only question i got and really aint to sure on is the rca's i know the wire inside is all pretty much the same but hte outer coating is made of different things. they say that it keeps more noise down and stuff is this true. like im sayin less motor noise? zane i guess this ones for you. is a more expensive rca worth it or not. i never have really thought about it i just buy the first ones i find.

Originally posted by geonn the only question i got and really aint to sure on is the rca's i know the wire inside is all pretty much the same but hte outer coating is made of different things. they say that it keeps more noise down and stuff is this true. like im sayin less motor noise? zane i guess this ones for you. is a more expensive rca worth it or not. i never have really thought about it i just buy the first ones i find.

I personally have not noticed much difference between RCA's of greater and lesser cost. I am sure that a few would have a different opinion regarding this matter. In my own findings though, there hasnt been a difference.

take it easy,

-zane

We performed a double-blind test on lamp cord (literally... about .10 a foot), next to Audioquest twisted pair, perfect surface copper solid core conductor, which ran about $4 a foot. The net result after a/b'ing about 10 people was literally a 50% margin... or guesswork as I call it..

Nobody could guess the higher grade conductor 100% of the time, and a few were sure they could hear it, but couldn't a/b it with consistency...

That to me shows the benefits are zero, ESPECIALLY when speaking from an in-car sort of environment...

Originally posted by budgetSQ if there really was no difference, everyone would be running hardware store genaric .10$/ft power wire. with HQ wire you get THOUSANDS more strands, lots more flexiblility, and better metal!

Maybe you better sit down and do a voltage test

I do buy alot of wire from my local hardware store. More strands simply means the wire is more flexible. I will be more than happy to do a voltage test. What would you like me to test ?

p.s. There is no audible difference, just cosmetics and hype //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just a thought...Electricity travels around copper not through. So in theory the wire with the most strands would be best. And of course you don't want resistance.

Originally posted by caraudiogod Just a thought...Electricity travels around copper not through. So in theory the wire with the most strands would be best. And of course you don't want resistance.
Only at high frequencies does it skin to the outer layer...

DC doesn't care, and @ 20hz, it will flow wherever also...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.