Best buy install?

Participant count
  • Participant list
It's hit or miss. I am a Geek Squad Installer and it just depends on the store. My store has had garbage installers and awesome installers. Since I have been in the bay we only keep high quality installers and hopefully it will stay that way. We also fix other stores installs (as well as a lot of shops stuff), so it just depends. We have people that drive a good distance just to come to our install bay. Feel out the installer and see how good he is, see if they take pride in their bay and work. It is pretty much the same for any install shop, but Best Buy has over 1,000 install bays so the horror stories are multiplied. The good part is we stand by our work and warranty it at any store and will un-install at no charge.

Why not try doing the install yourself? I used to get amp kits and head units and stuff put in and once you do it you find it out a lot of the stuff isn't real difficult. There's tons of youtube vids you can follow and tutorials galore on this site. Plus, you get to know you YOU did it and it was done right.

yep, all depends on the install bay and actual installers.

i recommend anyone paying for an install take the time to talk to the installer face-to-face to discuss the car, the outcomes, and options. that will not only let you evaluate the installer but give them a reason to put pride in their work and do a better job. know that more reliable connections and more attractive mounting and installation methods will take more time and cost a bit more. that extra is worth it.

request any wire taps/connections are soldered and check that work afterward. that extra effort will mostly eliminate future wire issues. anyone who resists soldering isn't who i would consider a "good" installer.

yep, all depends on the install bay and actual installers.
i recommend anyone paying for an install take the time to talk to the installer face-to-face to discuss the car, the outcomes, and options. that will not only let you evaluate the installer but give them a reason to put pride in their work and do a better job. know that more reliable connections and more attractive mounting and installation methods will take more time and cost a bit more. that extra is worth it.

request any wire taps/connections are soldered and check that work afterward. that extra effort will mostly eliminate future wire issues. anyone who resists soldering isn't who i would consider a "good" installer.
If any BB installer is using t-taps they should fired. That is against our SOP. I will solder upon request, I typically use crimp camps though, unless it is a GMOS harness since there is no room in GM cars.

I have not heard much horror stories about geek squad, Bestbuy now that is a different story.

Do it yourself, I always say if you want anything done correctly you got to do it yourself.

If any BB installer is using t-taps they should fired. That is against our SOP. I will solder upon request, I typically use crimp camps though, unless it is a GMOS harness since there is no room in GM cars.
i have seen every type of connector imaginable used by local Best Buy installers over the years. from T-taps to butt splices to crimp caps, even wrap and tape! our BB installer quality is below low here.

Wrap and tape is very common and preffered method on heavy guage wire. Well technically poke, wrap, and tape. It's called a military splice and when done properly is almost as effective as soldering (could be more effective if you **** at soldering and create a cold solder). It is MECP reccomended. If I go this route I add a fourth step and put a zip tie around the tape, that way it should never come loose. It is also very common to do on speaker installs if the customer does not purchase speaker adapters. We will never (or should never) cut off any speaker harnesses. Part of our installation includes free re-installation so that is the primary reasoning behind that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.