Best budget amp for the money?

mcarlos95
10+ year member

To start off, I'm looking to get some bass in my ride. I am a complete noob.

I've been told that a cheap starter sub is the JBL GTO1214D. This is apparently a good brand and will last longer and be better compared to a pioneer/sony.

As for the amp, which should I get? My budget is extremely limited as in, only get what's need or save up for something that's worth the money. Whatever will power this sub. It has 350RMS. will that hit hard? How "hard"? A simple car shake or will my ear drums feel it inside the car? My friend bought a Pioneer sub and an amp, both from Walmart. They hit HARD. My eardrums start feeling it all, while in his car. Will the JBL hit like this?

What cables will I need? My car is already hooked up with the blue cable all the way to the stereo, a ground cable, and the red and white audio cables. These are all routed from the front of the car to the trunk. The red cable, however, is messed up. It is fine all the way up until the hood. It has a fuse at the very end, as in it ends at the fuses. I'm guess I'll need another power wire, but which one would work for it?

you should never mention walmart audio in this forum lol
how much can you afford for sub or amp
I can afford anything, whether it take a month or year of saving. I need something people on this forum think is good that won't break the bank. It is just one 12 after all. Nothing fancy, I just don't want Walmart crap(ironic? lol).

Nice, $107. Does anyone else agree with this? Are there other better ones or should I stick to this.

Also, there are different "guages" for power wires no? What will I need?

If you want them to hit hard get at least 2 12 600watts to 1000 wats, most people start out with 600watt sub like Sundown, Skar, Obsidian, IAD, SSA, PSI, FI etc..

You might want to look at this store, any sub in this store is good SSA store

for budget amps, I would suggest the audiopipe apsm 1500 $122 in ebay or the hifonics brutus lines the ones starts with BRZ, I have the brz 1700.1d under $200 or the Lanzar Opti drives

Good luck

As far as the wire needed, it seems you have eveything but the power wire from the underhood fuse to the battery. That should only require you to buy an extra foot or two or wire if the fuse is in the correct position(Fuse should always be within 18" of the battery). As far as a sub and amp go the options are endless, even for a buget system. But yes, the Jbl is a good budget sub.

Pick up the jbl, you can buy a prefab sealed box(unless you can build your own ported enclosure, doesn't seem like you can though) and a cheaper, decent quality 4-500rms amp in the classifieds.

You could prob pick up a new single prefab box, used amp and that few extra feet of wire for around 125.

If you want them to hit hard get at least 2 12 600watts to 1000 wats, most people start out with 600watt sub like Sundown, Skar, Obsidian, IAD, SSA, PSI, FI etc..

for budget amps, I would suggest the audiopipe apsm 1500 $122 in ebay or the hifonics brutus lines the ones starts with BRZ, I have the brz 1700.1d under $200 or the Lanzar Opti drives

Good luck
not everyone lol... i started with 2 audiobahn 15s lol.. i miss that setup

Good luck
So you think I should step it up a notch? What If I just get a better sub instead of 2? Not that I actually use the trunk, but wouldn't it be better to just get 1 thats twice as good instead of 2? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So my initial plan was:

JBL GTO1214D 350W RMS $82

w/ a Audiopipe APSM 1300 300W RMS @ 4 ohm $107

or should I go bigger and get

JBL MS-12SD4 450W RMS $116

w/ a Audiopipe APSM 1500 500W RMS $122

Which one? Any other recommendations?

-----

Man you guys are quick. lol

Nice, $107. Does anyone else agree with this? Are there other better ones or should I stick to this.
Also, there are different "guages" for power wires no? What will I need?
No, I DO NOT..I can sell you a small foot print Zed Made amp that will bang the snott out of that sub hard and heavy,and works perfect, and is Clean,as the day I bought it.It was last ran on 2 old school RE DVC 2 ohm 600 rms subwoofers at 12 oclock position, and was slamming them! Old school Cheater Zed Made.Ill do for $130 shipped

View attachment 26536551

So you think I should step it up a notch? What If I just get a better sub instead of 2? Not that I actually use the trunk, but wouldn't it be better to just get 1 thats twice as good instead of 2? Correct me if I'm wrong.
So my initial plan was:

JBL GTO1214D 350W RMS $82

w/ a Audiopipe APSM 1300 300W RMS @ 4 ohm $107

or should I go bigger and get

JBL MS-12SD4 450W RMS $116

w/ a Audiopipe APSM 1500 500W RMS $122

Which one? Any other recommendations?

-----

Man you guys are quick. lol
If you want a small footprint, you can do 2 sealed subwoofer. for the apsm 1500 and do 2 of these subs from ebay 750watts each at $65 3 inch voice coil 750watt rms it will be louder than those JBL, you are wasting your amp is you are only running it at 4 ohms you want to run them at 1 ohm to get the most out of it

I have 1 of these subs in a 13x13x12 sealed box and it vibrates the mirrors of my wifes mini van, i can't imagine what 2 of these will do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.