Best budget 8" subs geared towards SQ

snipe523
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Troy, NY
Ill start by saying I have been away from the car audio hobby for quite a while. Now that I am kind of getting back into it I find that there are all kinds of new companies in business and I have no idea where to even start looking. I am looking for 2 8" subs to go into an SQ build I am starting. I am on a fairly tight budget so I am not looking to spend much more than probably $100-120 per sub. Boxes will be sealed with probably .75 cubic feet max available for each sub.

I have a pair of JL 8w3v3's and they sound great. You can usually find them used for around 80-100. I have had mine a while and they sound great with my active 3 way fronts. I give them plenty of power and they take every bit of it. I have like 500-600 RMS going to each one and haven't had any issues.

I really like tang bands on the cheaper side and tc's for a little more. I have some polk mobile monitors I bought after hearing a set. Never got around to actually using them but I heard the polks in a 318i and they were a lot better than I expected and bought a set right then lol

JBL GTO804 for sure.

If you do decide to go the ID8v3 route, I've got one that appears to be brand new I'd probably be willing to part with. It's a D4.

I'm not really sure why everyone is recommending subs that are made for SPL and not SQ...
Great suggestion. Highly informative.

To OP: I've heard great things about the ID8's as well as the JBL GTO804's for the price point. Leaning towards 4 ID8's for my next build. If you really don't care about SPL at all, look into the TC Epic 8... little higher than your price range though.

Great suggestion. Highly informative.

To OP: I've heard great things about the ID8's as well as the JBL GTO804's for the price point. Leaning towards 4 ID8's for my next build.

I don't know if you're being serious or if you didn't read the thread. I already posted my suggestion, which was the same as yours

Alpine Type-Rs 8s seem to have a good reputation. They're considered somewhat overbuilt for a budget 8 inch subwoofer, achieving very low inductance and symmetric BL curve. How much SQ you get out of them will depend entirely on your box design and tuning. There are a couple of very long threads about them on DIYMA. There are also a few positive reviews of Sundown SD-2 8 inch subwoofers in the DIYMA reviews section, and they look pretty cool.

I don't know if you're being serious or if you didn't read the thread. I already posted my suggestion, which was the same as yours
Sorry for being an ***, you are correct. I completely missed your earlier post.

I'm not really sure why everyone is recommending subs that are made for SPL and not SQ...
Splaudio is a individual here whom builds subs and labels them Splaudio. His 8 Very much a sq sub derived from sundown e motors a sq oriented sub. Do your research J@©kass!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.