Best 6x9 free air subs?

Tangband makes 6x9" subwoofers. So does Audiobahn and MA Audio I believe.

Infinite Baffle subwoofers are nice since you're not using any trunk space. It's just like mounting speakers on the rear deck, where the front and back waves are separated

yea..i rather get the Tangband over Audiobahn. Cost less, no bling bling (good thing in my eyes), probably sounds better, and did i say no bling bling?

Wow, somebody makes 6x9 subs. That's pretty much one of the dumbest things i can imagine. But if they sound good.....whatever.

EDIT: yeah, i have heard of them before, about 6 years ago.

I'd expect the TB to outperform the Audiobahn. 7mm of overhang on the TB, that's quite a bit for a driver that size, so real xmax could be anywhere from 8-10mm, which puts it at around 2-3x the displacement of most 6x9s.

W69-1042

Here is the main page.

Not bad for ~$65 for a pair of awesome 6x9 subs. Seriously, I'd recommend running them ported.

Seriously. Build little boxes to go underneath them, but leave them mounted in the rear deck. About 0.7cf@36hz for each driver. Just a simple 1x6 slot if you wish, about 11-12 inches long.

You think that'd be a waste, but honestly a pair of them with 100w each as long as you have infrasonic filtering at around 30hz. You'd be amazed just how loud you can make them get.

Probably outperform most sealed 10s or 12s you can get for around the same amount of money, and with less power.

I have an 04 Acura TSX and just wanted a cheap 6x9 upgrade to clean up my bass until I go with a 10-12" sub/amp setup. How would the TB's compare to similar low price JBL's? Like these:

http://hypaudio.com/hypaudio/p9632.html

Or the Kickers:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11900

The 6x9's only get sub bass freq's from the stock amp/xover so I'm not concerned with higher freq quality on any of these. Also, I don't want to build a box or make any major mods, I just want something I can drop in there easily and run off of the stock amp until I upgrade to a better sub setup later. Which of these would be the best quick fix for my application?

Thanks,

Scott

if your wanting to just clean up the bass then I would go with the TB's. The others are not subs. I just put the TB's in my G35 cpe and I think they sound great. The bass is tight and fast and imho opinion sounds just as good as one 8 or 10" sub enclosure in the trunk.

Thanks cinergi1,

I realize the others aren't subs but from the specs it looks like they'll go lower freqwise than the TB's. Also, they are more sensitive so won't they be louder/more efficient given the same amp? I'm splitting hairs on price with any of them so I could care less that the tweeters in the coaxials won't be used and basically be a waste. Again, I was just judging from the low freq. response and sensitivity.

Thanks again for your input,

Scott

Cinergi1, how many watts are you running to those 6 x 9's? You dont have a box underneath them do you? Do they sound good for rock/metal music? Thanks. Im verrry interested in 6 x 9 subs now that i saw this thread :readytogo

Oh boy! I'm all excited now. I could drop my 2 way 6 x 9's that im using as rear fill and put in some subs there. Run my components up front and subs in the back all off 1 4 chan amp. Then, i could finally have my trunkspace back and pocket some cashe from selling my 12. Muahahahahahhaha. I like I like. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif

Would having a speaker baffle behind the TB's help or hurt if you have no space to build a box behind them? Something like this (5" deep one):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LIhAJNbsI2v/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=762&I=237XT69&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Should I make a hole in them to act as a small port?

I thought about getting these to mount underneath the back of the drivers but I don't think I have enough clearance from the trunk rods, etc.:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LIhAJNbsI2v/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=766&I=044QL69W&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Thanks for any input.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.