Best 5x7" for silky smooth vocals for $150 or less

SeaNile
10+ year member

I listen to mostly classic rock, pink floyd, the who, jimmy buffett ,etc and am looking for a recommendation for 5x7 speakers for my 04 explorer. The shop carries JL Audio and I like the sound but am not floored by the 5x7's offered by JL. Any recommendations?? I love the sound of a clean vocal and guitar...

Thanks.

--JK

Guy said since they, the 5x7's will not be carrying much base due to the sub to stay with 5x7. Also wanted $50 to make adapter plates for the 5.25 components.

--JK

I listen to alot of the same. Lots of Floyd. I have alpines type R 6.5 components. The tweeter was a bit harsh but that can be EQd. Maybe check out the 5x7 version of the type rs.

Can you use components? Can you use a 6.5? What do you have for power?

Guy said since they, the 5x7's will not be carrying much base due to the sub to stay with 5x7. Also wanted $50 to make adapter plates for the 5.25 components.
--JK
You can buy those plates or make them yourself. Heck, some 5.25" and 6.5" component sets even come with the 5x7/6x8 adapter plate to mount the woofer. Unfortunately, in most cases you will be on your own for a decent tweeter location.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go with the Infinity Kappa 5x7/6x8s. Earlier someone said the Type R tweeter was harsh.... The Type Rs are WAY better than the ultra harsh MMD tweeters that Infinity uses in their Kappa line.

Pioneer Components. They sound great for the money, and they come with 6x8 adapter plates in the box. The 6.75" drops right into the plate, and the plate bolts right in place of Ford 6x8s. And 5x7 and 6x8 are the same thing, footprint-wise.

TS-A702Cs are easily under $150, work great on deck power, or a decent amp, and they'll give you pretty killer performance for that kind of budget.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=ts-a702c&_sacat=See-All-Categories

$80-85 all over the place.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmptZCarQ5fSpeakers?_nkw=ts-d720c&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=ts-a702c&_osacat=0

Step it up to the D-series, and STILL under $150. Also has the adapter plates included.

FYI, I work for Car Toys, and 90% of the customers we get with 6x8s up front leave with components. And $50 for plates in that vehicle is retarded. We do it for $30-35.

6.5" comp sets will fit, as will 6.25" and 5.25". Just have to grab some 3/4 or 1/2in mdf and make a baffle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.