Best 5ch amp setup

DBz Hertz
10+ year member

Hey guy, I'm just looking for opinions. I just purchased a JL XD700/5 and am trying to make the most of it. My vehicle only has front speakers, and I plan on leaving it like that.

How can I get the best SQ out of this amp? (horns/midbass, 3 way passive/active, bi-amp etc.)

Thank you.

I'd do horns and 8" mids up front if you can fit it. If not, then a solid comp set that can handle the amp being bridged would be a good idea.

What's your budget for front speakers?

Horns in a car? IMO horns are more for distance like at a rock concert or in a large theater.
I dont think ide want a horn in a small space like a car.
thumbnailCAY64YJ4-1-2.jpg

Horns in a car? IMO horns are more for distance like at a rock concert or in a large theater.
I dont think ide want a horn in a small space like a car.
I was almost able to dismiss this comment after seeing you only have 2 posts. Unfortunately, I can't. I suggest you disappear now, before others see this. Far far away and never return.

It's going to take more than a 5 channel amplifier to run a 3-way active stage plus sub. Then again, most horns are super efficient so you could probably get by with head unit power on them.

When it comes to a set of budget, non-DIY component sets, this one has managed to grab my interest: Precision Power PPI PC3.65C 6-1/2" 3-Way Component Speaker System Bling factor aside, the midrange driver in the set is phenomenal.

I'm just fine running a 2-way active stage w/sub. This will be my first shot at an active stage, so I'd better start small anyway. I can always add another amp, and I'll be sure to wire for expansion. I've been under the impression that horns would reproduce all of the frequencies tweeters and midranges do, leaving only the midbass to worry about. It seems to me like you'd kill 2 birds with one stone using horns, making my 5 channel adequate, simulating a 3-way front stage.

Does any of this sound plausible? Will one set of midbasses be able to keep up with horns? Will my IDQ10 keep up? Running horns off the HU?

Thanks again.

It's going to take more than a 5 channel amplifier to run a 3-way active stage plus sub. Then again, most horns are super efficient so you could probably get by with head unit power on them.
When it comes to a set of budget, non-DIY component sets, this one has managed to grab my interest: Precision Power PPI PC3.65C 6-1/2" 3-Way Component Speaker System Bling factor aside, the midrange driver in the set is phenomenal.
I wish people made more 8" 3-way sets. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I'm just fine running a 2-way active stage w/sub. This will be my first shot at an active stage, so I'd better start small anyway. I can always add another amp, and I'll be sure to wire for expansion. I've been under the impression that horns would reproduce all of the frequencies tweeters and midranges do, leaving only the midbass to worry about. It seems to me like you'd kill 2 birds with one stone using horns, making my 5 channel adequate, simulating a 3-way front stage.
Does any of this sound plausible? Will one set of midbasses be able to keep up with horns? Will my IDQ10 keep up? Running horns off the HU?

Thanks again.
How low you can cross your horns depends on which you are using. You also might need a set of tweeters to run off of HU power to fill in the upper end a little bit...just depends.

How low you can cross your horns depends on which you are using. You also might need a set of tweeters to run off of HU power to fill in the upper end a little bit...just depends.
Cool, thanks a lot man. I'll keep mulling it over. I still have some time to decide. Spring is the deadline.

I have image full bodies in my altima with dnyaudio mw 180's in the doors.I'm using the stock passive with them and they sound fine.the crossovers have adjustments for level and the mid "bump"in response these have.just be prepared to have a good eq.

What kind of vehicle do you have....some cars/trucks don't have the room for them..uniess you go mini bodies I guess...
I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee.. So, I should have enough room. I guess trial and error is the key. BTW your sig is amazing. I saved it.

Do you find that your 2 way setup is adequate? Do you recommend a sound processor, i.e. Imprint, 3sixty.3? I've been contemplating a system like this, since I'm not too sure how to configure EQ's myself..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.