Beginner needs help tuning a system

Participant count
  • Participant list

kbrown1337

I've always been picky about my sound, and I'm just now starting to really get into car audio. I'd like to learn as much as I can so I can start doing this stuff myself!

For now I have a few questions on tuning my current system. I have a Rockford Fosgate powered sub, 300 Watt RMS. I have a pair of 6x9's on the rear deck, a pair of 6.5's in the front doors, and two tweeters up by the rearview mirrors. They're all factory speakers. I have a Pioneer FH-X700BT headunit, and the HU is currently powering all of the speakers in the car.

Ever since I installed the sub, I can't quite get the system tuned right. The bass just sounds very muddy, and it "lags behind" on most songs. And it's also like I can distinguish the sub from the rest of the speakers, which I can't stand. I like everything to blend together.

I plan on buying a 400 watt amp as well as new 6x9's and 6.5's for the amp to power, in the future. I don't see a reason to buy new tweeters and/or power them with an amp, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, until I buy the new speakers, I'd like to tune my current system. I took the time to write down all of the settings that could be adjusted.

Powered Subwoofer Settings:

• Bass Boost: 0-12db
  • Crossover: 50hz - 200hz
  • Gain: min-max
  • Phase: 0-180 degrees
  • Input level: low-high

Head Unit Settings:

• Loudness: off/low/mid/high
  • EQ: all different settings. I've been keeping it on "Powerful"
  • HPF: off OR 50-200hz , Slope -12/-6
  • Bass Boost: 1-6
  • Sub Woofer Cutoff Frequency: 50hz - 200hz
  • Sub Woofer Output Level: -24 - +6
  • Sub Woofer Slope Level: -12/-6

I have a somewhat general idea of what the filters and cutoff frequencies mean, but I could really use a good explanation of how to tune this system. A lot of sites that I've seen have recommended adjusting the Low Pass Filter, but it doesn't appear like I have one. Is a low pass filter necessary to tune a system correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help with this. The more info you can provide, the better! I'm tryin to learn this stuff.

These are the ones I can comment on, the way I would set them I suppose..

Powered Subwoofer Settings:

Bass Boost: 0

Crossover: 80

Phase: 0

Input level: low

Head Unit Settings:

Loudness: off

HPF: 80Hz

Bass Boost: 0

Sub Woofer Cutoff Frequency: 80Hz

Sub Woofer Output Level: 0

You need to get a 4 channel to power your front speakers, ditch the rear speakers.

Also, you need a better head unit with more tuning capability.

The clarion cz702 or pioneer deh80prs are great ones.

Once you get this situated then you can move forward.

Subs usually play from 20-80hz depending on the system, mids play from 60/80-3khz(this varies), tweets pick up where mids cut off. You have to be able to limit the speakers to these frequency ranges.

You need to get a 4 channel to power your front speakers, ditch the rear speakers.Also, you need a better head unit with more tuning capability.

The clarion cz702 or pioneer deh80prs are great ones.

Once you get this situated then you can move forward.
If he were to ditch the rear speakers, wouldnt he only need a 2 channel?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.