Before I start yanking on wires.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

greyhnd
10+ year member

Hello folks.

New to the forum and I have a vehicle specific wiring question. My vehicle: 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. Originally equipped with the Infinity Gold audio system including a factory cd changer.

I've replaced the factory HU with a Kenwood model, and have MB Quart PVI-216 components for the front and an MB Quart Discus amp still to be installed. I also have made a 10" "sonosub" subwoofer enclosure.

I've removed the factory cd changer and would like to follow the wiring path from that wiring to run my remote turn on and RCA cables to the HU. The cd changer was mounted directly behind the passenger side rear seat and I intend to mount the amp under the same side rear seat. What I can't figure out is where in the heck the wiring from the cd changer ends near the dash. I'd like to try and snake my new wiring along the same path if I can find out where it goes. When I intalled the Kenwood, I didn't see any extra wiring that might have been for the cd changer controls, so I'm completely lost on this.

Sorry for being so wordy, but I wanted to give as much detail as I can. Does anyone have experience with this model Jeep or just a general idea where to look for the beginning/end of the factory changer wiring?

Thanks in advance.

Thread shows up on the front page in the recently posted section as "Before I start yanking on..." lol

So you're asking where the wiring goes so you can remain consistent? If that's what you're asking, then I would just to not worry about it. Wiring is hidden so it's not a big deal at all -- just make sure your power wires and your speaker wires/RCA's are on opposite sides of the vehicle. Some people think it isn't true, but if the power wire is close it can cause some interference. I have some experience with this first hand, and swapping the sides that the RCA's were on made a lot of the noise go away.

Thanks Kangaroux, but that isn't quite what I was asking.

I'm going to run the power for the amp from the battery underneath the Jeep and bring it up through the floor. I understand I need to keep the power and RCA's as far apart as possible so that isn't my problem.

What I'm trying to determine is where the wiring for the factory cd changer comes out on the "dash end" of things. The reason being is I want to use those wires as a "snake" to pull the RCA's and amp remote from the dash to the new amp under the rear seat. My problem is I can't locate where the wires originate. I don't know what I'm looking for so I may not even be looking in the right place.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

do not try to pull the wires through your not doing commercial wiring here and all you will have when your done is a bunch of broken cables and a car that possibly won't start.

If you go to )Orileys,or AutoZone, you can purchase a Chilton book for your vehicle, that will give you every wiring diagram to detail of the vehicle:santa:

goingdef - Thanks for reminding me about the possibility the car might not start....that would be just my luck.

audiobaun - I've searched until I'm dizzy trying to find the info I need. I have a Factory Service Manual, but even that is no help. I think the factory cd changer was a rare option on the Grand Cherokee Laredo models in my particular year. I know it was factory installed because it appears on my build sheet, but I haven't found an answer even on the Jeep forums. I may have to contact the dealership and see if they can give me some guidance.

forget the factory harness it's going to be a pita to track down every clip to pull it, just run the rca's and remote from behind the dash and go under either the carpet(more work as you will need to remove the interior) or run behind the glove down behind the kick and under the interior panels along the side pull up the carpet cut a slit at the desired exit and fist your way to glory!

goingdef - I think yours is sound advice. I think I'll probably run the RCA's from under the dash and under the panels to the back. Sounds much easier than trying to pull the other wires out.

I'm also going to run my amp power from the battery under the Jeep and bring it inside through a grommet in the floor. This is kind of a funny reason, but I only have one leg and it's hard as heck to move around inside the car with a prosthetic leg on since my knee doesn't bend that much. Just trying to make a neat and tidy install while working around my limitations.

goingdef - I think yours is sound advice. I think I'll probably run the RCA's from under the dash and under the panels to the back. Sounds much easier than trying to pull the other wires out.
I'm also going to run my amp power from the battery under the Jeep and bring it inside through a grommet in the floor. This is kind of a funny reason, but I only have one leg and it's hard as heck to move around inside the car with a prosthetic leg on since my knee doesn't bend that much. Just trying to make a neat and tidy install while working around my limitations.
well running power underneath is perfectly fine find a factory harness along the frame and zip tie to it about every two feet with high quality zip ties the others(cheap) will fail after a year or so, I have ran under several trucks it's just easier than going under stuff with 0g.

When I go under the Jeep with the power I intend to use split loom to protect the cable. I think that should be sufficient, unless I need something heavier to protect it. Any other precautions I need to take?

I have a bag of zip ties that the electrician left here when they rewired my house. Can't cut them with a knife, have to use snips to get through them.

When I go under the Jeep with the power I intend to use split loom to protect the cable. I think that should be sufficient, unless I need something heavier to protect it. Any other precautions I need to take?

I have a bag of zip ties that the electrician left here when they rewired my house. Can't cut them with a knife, have to use snips to get through them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.