been away 3 years - what did i miss / whats the new sound deadner to use ?

brian84corvette
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
yep.

sold my last big system car a few years ago and have finaly got the bug again. lucky i kept most of my equipment ( altho i doubt my 3 wheel chair batterys still hold much resting voltage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif still ive got the bug again

so whats new / did i miss ?

id like to build the best system yet - and need to start poking around looking for the proper sound deadning to use. in my younger years i was not oposed to peal and seal. yes i know its awfull and doesnt stick well - and eventually slides down from where ever it was put - so im not using that again - but what is the new hot afordable sound deadning material i should be looking at ?

idealy i would like to cover alot of my back seat area as well as the rear deck.

my car is a 74 monte carlo. made of heavy thick steel so the doors are most likely fine and id like to leave the roof alone for now ( my headliner is still realley nice )

as a side note - im having a baby in a week or 2 so whatever sound deadning material i use can not have that "smell" to it. my baby wont have to ride in my car much but id like to keep everything clean and sanitary. my sub amp will also be wired to an on off switch for the remote wire so i dont want to hear any grief about bass and infants. lol im not that guy

i hope someone finaly came out with a good budget sound deadner. i remember a few years ago it was just as expensive as all heck still.

Audio Technix, Alphadamp, and I'd like to try the Q-mat from audioque. I believe these are the more reliable brands that are relatively cheap. Bulk deals are the best way for a deal

Avoid AudioTechnix.. AlphaDamp is too expensive..

For the price, I'd check out MurderMat.

The thickest I've seen so far is KnuKonceptz Kolossus. It's 100 mils thick and nearly a pound per square foot. It's not too expensive, either.

The thickest I've seen so far is KnuKonceptz Kolossus. It's 100 mils thick and nearly a pound per square foot. It's not too expensive, either.
What do you have against AudioTechnix? I've personally never used it, just curious.

If AlphaDamp is too expensive then there is always Damp Pro.

What do you have against AudioTechnix? I've personally never used it, just curious.
It's flimsy and doesn't add much rigidity.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

If AlphaDamp is too expensive then there is always Damp Pro.
Another good one from what I've heard. I only recommended deadeners that I have personal experience with.

AudioTechnix did wonders for my trunk, roof, doors, and rear deck and it's dirt cheap. No complaints. There are more effective ways to deaden, but if you're on a budget it gets the job done.

It's flimsy and doesn't add much rigidity. 

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Another good one from what I've heard. I only recommended deadeners that I have personal experience with.
My roof used to flex and rattle terribly. Made a HUGE difference. Just knocking on the metal you can tell a big difference. You get a solid "thunk" instead of the higher pitched "tink". It added mass, lowered the resonant frequency of the metal, and the result is a panel that takes more energy to vibrate. In other words, it did its job.

I used Dynamat without knowing much about it and it is among the lightest and most effective with decent bass response. Top 3 for dampening and bass response are supposed to be SDS tiles, Murdermat MDK, and Knu kol (this last it is not quite 100 mil as claimed more like 70 Mil but good product)

Then you have Dynamat, Second Skin, Alpha Damp, all extremely similar, just one is lighter than the others. Second Skin and A D are very clean to work with and easy to remove if you take your time doing it and not leaving anything behind. Personally I like non asphalt based like the ones mentioned because at higher temperatures the asphalt based materials fail to get the same response and loose dampening abilities.

Will you be interested in blocking road noise and wind from the doors too? Sound deadener CLD type only improves mid bass dampen vibrations resonances and rattles.

My roof used to flex and rattle terribly. Made a HUGE difference. Just knocking on the metal you can tell a big difference. You get a solid "thunk" instead of the higher pitched "tink". It added mass, lowered the resonant frequency of the metal, and the result is a panel that takes more energy to vibrate. In other words, it did its job.
You know just as well as anyone else that CLD tiles are to stiffen a panel and prevent vibrations, not to add mass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You know just as well as anyone else that CLD tiles are to stiffen a panel and prevent vibrations, not to add mass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Honestly, I didn't/don't LOL. I never really got into the science of deadening. But I'm not an sq snob either. So I did a quick read... I see now that decreasing the res frequency is a job for mlv. Cld is to dampen. But anyways, it does not change the fact that you're being a bit harsh... For cheap deadener the AT did pretty decent. I got results, and the results came cheap. I sure as hell am not spending a grand on deadening.

Cant help. Im getting back into the game myself. Last time i had a system it was with brand new rockfords that where black with red and white lettering and had end caps. :0

Honestly, I didn't/don't LOL. I never really got into the science of deadening. But I'm not an sq snob either. So I did a quick read... I see now that decreasing the res frequency is a job for mlv. Cld is to dampen. But anyways, it does not change the fact that you're being a bit harsh... For cheap deadener the AT did pretty decent. I got results, and the results came cheap. I sure as hell am not spending a grand on deadening.[/QUOTE]
x2 made a big difference in reducing my roof flex with the AT 80mil. For the price, I am certainly happy with it and its holding up pretty well with 154 dB.

However, if there is any other product you guys have proof that does better at the same price, let me know! Its always a learning game! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.