Battery or Alternator or both upgrade???

Schnitz
10+ year member

My 2 Audison amps draw 60 amps total and my 2 air compressors draw 36 amps. Total draw = 96 amps..

My stock alternator is rated for 90 amps. My battery has 690 cca and 80 amp reserve with 45ah.

I haven't hooked up my system back up yet since the air suspension install.

I don't have room for a second battery.

I will do the Big 3 but I don't think it will solve my potential issues.

Any thoughts?

Your compressors aren't constantly drawing amperage are they? wouldnt they only be used for short amounts of time just to fill the bags i.e. 15 seconds or less? or do they stay constantly running(I know nothing about bagging a vehicle, nor have i ever seen one in person) If not I'd guess you will be just fine if the current alt and batt are in good shape. You will just have to try and see. If you plan or running stuff when the vehicle's engine is off than thats a whole another issue.

You are correct. It takes about 3 mins to fill the tank from dead empty - once a week. Otherwise 30 seconds is all that's necessary. I do notice lights dimming at idle when the compressors are on and I press the brake right now.

What compressors do you run? Mine pulled a good deal more then what they were rated at. Also, you have to not, that most rate them for just normal running operation. Not kicking on at 115psi and running to 150psi(this pulls a good deal of amps). I suggest at least an alt, and a bit better battery. You don't need anything crazy, but what you have is not enough. The stock alt is 90amps(mint to run the car), you added 100+ (I would say more for the first second that the compressors kick on) amps of possible pull with what you have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.