Bass isn't musical, drones instead

Participant count
  • Participant list

ezscootr

CarAudio.com Newbie
Co
Hi. Old guy with an easy question (I hope). Car=E46 touring, I picked up a RF P300-12 because it reviews well on the interwebs and am hugely disappointed. I replaced the RF driver with a JL 12W1v3-2 and it's better, but still droney and not musical at all. Is the 5/8" cabinet to blame? Is the amp in the RF cabinet just a piece of junk with a horrible built in eq curve? I've got it wired into full range pre-amp output from the head unit, plugged into the amp's low volt input.
What obvious thing(s) am I missing?

What obvious thing(s) am I missing?
If the amp has a built in crossover, I would set it at 100 hertz. Most set it at 80 hertz but I like better punch from my subs. Going higher makes them blend better with the front stage, and lose that boomy drone along with it. 5/8 mdf is not the issue. JL Audio even recommends it on their 13TW5 subs, which go strictly in sealed boxes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...