basic question about watts and ohms with sub/amps

tyoung87
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NC
hey so im wondering how you can figure out how many watts your actually going to get from a amp. say i have a 2ohm sub and my amp says 2500@1ohm and 1700@2ohm... now i know since i have a 2ohm sub if it was at 2500 it would be split in half so it would be about 1250.. right? but my question is since i have a 2ohm sub and the amp says @2ohm it puts out 1700, will i actually be getting 1700?

hey so im wondering how you can figure out how many watts your actually going to get from a amp. say i have a 2ohm sub and my amp says 2500@1ohm and 1700@2ohm... now i know since i have a 2ohm sub if it was at 2500 it would be split in half so it would be about 1250.. right? but my question is since i have a 2ohm sub and the amp says @2ohm it puts out 1700, will i actually be getting 1700?
Well it's not so simple. Some amp manufacturers lie about specs. Also the impedance of the woofers change depending on frequency passed through them and the enclosure they are playing in, so at some frequencies you'll be at 2 ohm, most of the time you'll be above or below 2 ohm.

Well it's not so simple. Some amp manufacturers lie about specs. Also the impedance of the woofers change depending on frequency passed through them and the enclosure they are playing in, so at some frequencies you'll be at 2 ohm, most of the time you'll be above or below 2 ohm.
yeah i kno a lot lie about it, but i was just wondering like if it says 1700@2 and my subs a 2ohm "if they were not lieing about it" i should get 1700 out of it right? not under what id be getting at 1ohm? if that makes sence

yeah i kno a lot lie about it, but i was just wondering like if it says 1700@2 and my subs a 2ohm "if they were not lieing about it" i should get 1700 out of it right? not under what id be getting at 1ohm? if that makes sence
As specific frequencies yes. Most of the time no.

ok, i just didnt want it to be under the 1ohm ammount... i just got a orion 2500D says 2500@1 and 1700@2 and will have my DD3512 which it says 1350 i believe is like the least ammount of watts u should put in it, i kno it wont hurt to go under that.. but id rather stay above it. do you think it would?

I'm curious. You said your sub is 2 ohm right? Is it a dual 2 ohm vc? Because if it is you will not be wiring it to 2 ohms, you will have to wire it to 1 or 4 ohms. Unless of course you have 2 subs then you can run it at 2 ohms.

In order for you to get close to 1700 watts or rated power from the amp, you will have to have proper electrical. Your sig says nothing about it, so I have to assume you are running stock electrical. So no, your sub will not be getting 1700 watts rms.

I'm curious. You said your sub is 2 ohm right? Is it a dual 2 ohm vc? Because if it is you will not be wiring it to 2 ohms, you will have to wire it to 1 or 4 ohms. Unless of course you have 2 subs then you can run it at 2 ohms.
In order for you to get close to 1700 watts or rated power from the amp, you will have to have proper electrical. Your sig says nothing about it, so I have to assume you are running stock electrical. So no, your sub will not be getting 1700 watts rms.
yeah its dual 2 sorry should have said, and as of right now i have just the big 3, will be upgrading soon... but i was really just wondering if that was how it would work in a perfet situation... that if a amp does a true 1700@2 and the sub is a 2ohm then itll get 1700 to it.

yeah its dual 2 sorry should have said, and as of right now i have just the big 3, will be upgrading soon... but i was really just wondering if that was how it would work in a perfet situation... that if a amp does a true 1700@2 and the sub is a 2ohm then itll get 1700 to it.
Depends on the amp. I don't know that amp very well at all. Maybe someone who has done some bench tests with one can chime in. Someone already said (and are correct) that some amp companies over rate their products. What are the fuse(s) on that amp?

never read a book in my life, dont plan to start now.
That's just ignorant. Why do people think it's cool to not be educated, i.e. not reading books? I really hope your kidding because it's people who never read that will kill our society. Also why other countries hate Americans. In general, Americans are ingnorant dumba$$es. But that's for another thread.

Depends on the amp. I don't know that amp very well at all. Maybe someone who has done some bench tests with one can chime in. Someone already said (and are correct) that some amp companies over rate their products. What are the fuse(s) on that amp?

That's just ignorant. Why do people think it's cool to not be educated, i.e. not reading books? I really hope your kidding because it's people who never read that will kill our society. Also why other countries hate Americans. In general, Americans are ingnorant dumba$$es. But that's for another thread.

i am just sayn that if it were a true 1700@2 w a dual 2 sub is that what i would get. i dont car if that amp actually does it, i wanna know if that is how you can tell the rating's and what not..

Also you honestly dont need to read books in order to get a education. books are mostly full of useless info, and i never said anything about " its cool to be uneducated" i said iv never read a book, which means i have never read a whole book... how many FULL books have you read and please do tell me what you got out of reading the whole book?

book smart's vs common sense, which would you prefer?

Also you honestly dont need to read books in order to get a education. books are mostly full of useless info, and i never said anything about " its cool to be uneducated" i said iv never read a book, which means i have never read a whole book... how many FULL books have you read and please do tell me what you got out of reading the whole book?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sick.gif.b1847c8dabbfeeddbcf1a78052249e10.gif

If your sub is a dual 2 then there is no possible way for you to wire it to a 2 ohm load. It's either 1 ohm or 4 ohm. You should do some reading, you might learn a thing or two //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.