Bang on a budget audiopipe apsm2000 mini

bumpasauras
10+ year member

Always Hurtin Ears!!
Alright guys got an amp report for ya.

I came accross an audiopipe apsm2000 mini bnib for 75$. I just could not pass it up so I bought it. I was very skeptical about this amp I saw no way that a 200$ amp could put out anywhere near 1200 watts at 2 ohm but I moved forward with quite skepticism .

I hooked up my two SA15's in 2 ohm and mounted the amp. 12 volt was supplied from 2 yellow tops (1 under the hood and one in the back) and a 200 amp alt. Big three was covered by 1 OT cable. Amp has a slight pop when it powers on which I do not like but it's not too bad. After setting the gains and low pass filter I began to thrash it . Very very impressed! The amp played even the fastest bass notes with no hiccups. After about an hour of play I took its temp with my inferred heat gun and wow 91 degrees. Power out put while not off the charts was plenty for the SA's to have a powerfull presence. The amp i replaced with this one was an old phoenix gold ti600.1, there is just no comparison the audio pipe blows it out of the water. Bass was very powerfull and clean the low pass filter was very effective I simply could not wrap my brain around how cheap this amp is. I really did not expect to be this impressed with this thing.

Cons:

Audible pop at turn on

No cross over for RCA output

Instructions are pretty crappy

Pros:

Very powerfull for the money

Pretty clean output

Small footprint

Included bass knob

1 OT power and ground terminals

1 ohm stable

All in all no major complaints out of me when running it in 2 ohm. This thing absolutly hammers the SA's. For the money I see no drawbacks to this thing. If you are on a budget I highly recommend the apsm2000 just figure on buying a little more amp than you would normally to make up for the typical over rating of cheaper amps and you will be happy. I plan on wiring it down to 1 ohm today and I will report back with my findings.

No doubt it is a bit clipped but hey I can't hear it and for 75$ who am I to complain. On that note isn't there an oscilloscope/volt meter out there you can buy?? I would like to pick one up just to see what it is doing real world.

I am saving for a better amp.... Something around 2kw at 2 ohms would be nice.

No doubt it is a bit clipped but hey I can't hear it and for 75$ who am I to complain. On that note isn't there an oscilloscope/volt meter out there you can buy?? I would like to pick one up just to see what it is doing real world.
I am saving for a better amp.... Something around 2kw at 2 ohms would be nice.
Nice review.... even if its alittle clipped, as long as YOUR happy thats all that matters........ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

Alright guys got an amp report for ya.
I came accross an audiopipe apsm2000 mini bnib for 75$. I just could not pass it up so I bought it. I was very skeptical about this amp I saw no way that a 200$ amp could put out anywhere near 1200 watts at 2 ohm but I moved forward with quite skepticism .
Surely, the value at $75 is great. However, nothing in this review supports that the hypothesis that amp provides 1200watts at 2ohms. It was just a subjective opinion. Yes, it may sound good, in the same way a $50 speaker/amp/subwoofer is still often capable of producing enjoyable sound.

Get a clamp meter and an oscope and see if you remain satisifed
I'm not saying AP is good, but why would him knowing that it is less power than he thought make him less happy? People who don't compete pay too much attention to "clamped numbers". He wouldn't hear a difference between 1300 and 2000 watts anyway.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was at 2 ohms. He wouldn't notice a difference between 800 and 1200.

I'm not saying AP is good, but why would him knowing that it is less power than he thought make him less happy? People who don't compete pay too much attention to "clamped numbers". He wouldn't hear a difference between 1300 and 2000 watts anyway.
THIS.. i know alot of people who "clip" their amps purposely alittle because it gains them a couple 10ths on the meter and the equipment still holds up.

i know clipping is not good, however if managed correctly you equipment with hold up. Hell one of my teammates competes and was clipping(about 2mins per comp) his level 4xl 18s for like 2.5 years then sold them a year ago. they still worked when he got rid of them and they still work today because we know who has them. its all about managing, when he competes he clips, when he rides daily he doesnt turn it to the point were it clips, only to were he has some bass.

Ran it 1 ohm today. After 30 min amp was 167 was very warm to touch ,, not hot yet.. Power was very noticeably increased it was down right approaching uncomfortable. Gain is very conservitve like. 2/3ish wich gives no audible clipping on anything I listened to. Friends found it uncomfortable after short 45sec or so lol. Pretty happy with it more than enough power for your average bass head. Really starts to overpower the 4 kappas with bass knob all the way on 2/3 gain..

Will prolly leave in 2 ohm I was happy with it there. Need to work on box next.

Working on getting a meter will report back

Ran it 1 ohm today. After 30 min amp was 167 was very warm to touch ,, not hot yet.. Power was very noticeably increased it was down right approaching uncomfortable.
This is bad news in Texas. If amp gets hot right now, it will probably go into thermal shutdowns during summer months unless something is done for extra cooling. You know those weeks and months when temperature consistently stays >over 100F, when metal objects get noticeably warm in the trunk from simply being parked out under the sun.

Gain is very conservitve like. 2/3ish
There is no basis for saying this without at least a voltage check with DMM..

Ran it 1 ohm today. After 30 min amp was 167 was very warm to touch ,, not hot yet.. Power was very noticeably increased it was down right approaching uncomfortable. Gain is very conservitve like. 2/3ish wich gives no audible clipping on anything I listened to. Friends found it uncomfortable after short 45sec or so lol. Pretty happy with it more than enough power for your average bass head. Really starts to overpower the 4 kappas with bass knob all the way on 2/3 gain..
Will prolly leave in 2 ohm I was happy with it there. Need to work on box next.

Working on getting a meter will report back
how are you wiring your subs for these 1 & 2 ohm comparisons?

I would not say it was hot but was really warm it was about 75 degrees today and I ran it for 45 min or so it never got over 170 degrees still pretty warm. I finally got my box built so I put them in 7.5 cubes @ 35htz. Made all the difference. I will be going back to my dual 2's and keep it in 2 ohm I was very pleased with it there . Friends still find it uncomfortable lol. Gains are still about 2/3 amp seems happy there no audible clipping very happy with this 75$ amp. I would have had no problem paying the 176$ they sale it for. Good amp

I actually have 2 pairs 1 is dual 2's other set is dual 4's. duel 4's will be up for sale soon I just don't need them .. Might trade them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.