Bad to mount amp upside down?

Participant count
  • Participant list
All depends on the amp and the load it will be under. Some amps have internal fans that will keep them cool with limited airflow. Another thing to take into consideration is load the amp will see.

My Tsunami amps are mounted upside down under the rear deck of my wifes car and stay cool to the touch because I am running the highs and mids at 4 ohm. the sub amp is rated for a 1 ohm load but i am also running it at 4 ohms so cooling is not an issue. If I were to run them at 2 or 1 ohm it may be an issue though.

With adequate ventiliation it shouldn't be a problem.

But if your amplifier tends to get hot keep in mind that mounting it upside down will cause it to become even warmer as the heat rises back into the internal components.

Remember, heat rises!

The aluminum heat sink is what wicks away the heat from the amplifier transistors and other components.

When you mount the amp upside down, the heat now rises to the thin metal bottom panel (which is now on top) which traps heat and the amp will run hotter in this manner.

The heat wicking away through the heat sink (now on the bottom) simply rises back onto itself and keeps the amp hotter as well.

Heat kills so avoid mounting the amp upside down when ever possible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.