Bad install? (G37)

CHAudio

CarAudio.com Newbie
ND
-Skar Dual 8" 1,400 Watt SDR package w/ (800 watt amp)

I went to get this setup installed and I feel the subs aren't pushing as much bass as they should. Disappointing, Please be gentle as I'm a newb.

1. 2nd picture, looks like they did a poor job at connecting the power cable to my subwoofer? There is bare wire spilling it- Does this say a lot about the installer? Any risk if I ran the unit multiple hours like this?

2. Shop provided the LOC (dblink?). From the looks of it, they tapped into green/grey wiring but I've read that g37's should tap into violet (+) and sky blue (-)

3. The stock sub seems to pushing 10x more than my actual sub setup on some songs- whats the deal?

2nd picture, looks like they did a poor job at connecting the power cable to my subwoofer? There is bare wire spilling it- Does this say a lot about the installer? Any risk if I ran the unit multiple hours like this?
Zero issues with that bit of bare wire showing.
Shop provided the LOC (dblink?). From the looks of it, they tapped into green/grey wiring but I've read that g37's should tap into violet (+) and sky blue (-)
As long as the wires are positive and negative, it is ok. DB Drive is a known brand. Their connection hardware is called DB Link.
The stock sub seems to pushing 10x more than my actual sub setup on some songs- whats the deal?
The OEM sub should have been disconnected. It may be playing against the new subs causing cancellation. By the looks of the OEM sub, I assume the car is a sedan with subs in the trunk. I always had trouble making subs sound good in a trunk without lowering the back seats. I would recommend one 12 or two tens in a trunk. I think if you remove the OEM sub, you will get better sound into the cabin without the need of having the rear seats down.

I went to get this setup installed and I feel the subs aren't pushing as much bass as they should. Disappointing, Please be gentle as I'm a newb.

1. 2nd picture, looks like they did a poor job at connecting the power cable to my subwoofer? There is bare wire spilling it- Does this say a lot about the installer? Any risk if I ran the unit multiple hours like this?

2. Shop provided the LOC (dblink?). From the looks of it, they tapped into green/grey wiring but I've read that g37's should tap into violet (+) and sky blue (-)

3. The stock sub seems to pushing 10x more than my actual sub setup on some songs- whats the deal?
View attachment 45216View attachment 45217
Make sure your subs are wired correctly ( positive wire to positive and negative to negative).

I'll say this. Using wire nuts and having frayed ends doesn't mean the installer screwed up, but it's not professional quality. I use butt splices with heat shrink and don't let ends fray that bad, and I work out of a home garage.

Feels like we need more information here. Questions that immediately come to mind: Are the wires they tapped coming out of the factory head unit or out of the factory sub amp outputs or somewhere else? Is the factory sub still hooked up? Can you share exactly what sub amp you have (name and model, eg. Skar Super Smacker v2 or whatever)

Zero issues with that bit of bare wire showing.

As long as the wires are positive and negative, it is ok. DB Drive is a known brand. Their connection hardware is called DB Link.

The OEM sub should have been disconnected. It may be playing against the new subs causing cancellation. By the looks of the OEM sub, I assume the car is a sedan with subs in the trunk. I always had trouble making subs sound good in a trunk without lowering the back seats. I would recommend one 12 or two tens in a trunk. I think if you remove the OEM sub, you will get better sound into the cabin without the need of having the rear seats down.

I'll say this. Using wire nuts and having frayed ends doesn't mean the installer screwed up, but it's not professional quality. I use butt splices with heat shrink and don't let ends fray that bad, and I work out of a home garage.

Feels like we need more information here. Questions that immediately come to mind: Are the wires they tapped coming out of the factory head unit or out of the factory sub amp outputs or somewhere else? Is the factory sub still hooked up? Can you share exactly what sub amp you have (name and model, eg. Skar Super Smacker v2 or whatever)

Hey guys I appreciate all the replies, never expected such a huge outreach from the forum, really grateful. Sorry about the lack of pics/details. Pics added below

Setup: Factory radio, Factory Sub, Factory Amp, Skar Dual 8" 4ohm 1400 watt loaded vented Subwoofer enclosure, Skar RP-800.1D 800 Watt Monoblock Amplifier

1. I have confirmed, the factory subwoofer is still playing alongside my aftermark subs. They are hitting almost identical on songs. Bass can't even be heard outside the car, 100% sure it's being bottlenecked in someway

2. I'm not sure where the wires are tapped out from.

3. I have included pics of my setup, settings on the Amp, ground cable, DBLink Hi-Lo converter, Factory Amp/sub. Ground cable seems to be using a bolt on the trunk's firewall, looks like he tried sanding down the area
thumbnail_Resized_20221205_181320.jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20221205_181326.jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20221205_181353.jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20221205_181456.jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20221205_181524(0).jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20221205_181554.jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20221205_181703.jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20221205_181446.jpg

edit: apologies for low quality pics, the LPF setting on the amp was like this (-) just a flat horizontal line was the setting it was at, BASS EQ looks like its set at 12dB

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...