Backup Camera Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

budahbuddy803
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aiken, SC
I just wired up my Pyle PLCM18BC to my Pioneer AVH-X3700BHT this weekend. The wires that came with the camera are a yellow video cable, and then a cable with a red and black wire.

I ran the yellow video cable from the camera to the head unit. I ran the red and black wire and tapped into the reverse light's power and ground wire. I also ran the "backup" wire from the head unit to the power wire of the reverse light.

When I put the car in reverse, the screen changes to the "backup camera screen" but I am not getting any video. When I put it in any other gear, the head unit goes back to the appropriate screen.

My thinking is maybe there isn't enough power for the reverse lights to power up the camera? I'm not really sure but any help would be appreciated.

This is a wiring diagram for how I have things wired currently. As mentioned, I don't think my camera is powering on.

wNnboS7.jpg

I may try wiring the power for the camera straight to the battery just to make sure that is the issue when I find some time.

i bet your camera is junk.

i got a new one that did that, no picture at all. but it would switch screen for backup.

also you dont need to ground the camera at your switch. any good ground. i did my ground close to the camera.

other then that the wiring looks good.

you could try another rca cable to see if thats it as these cheap cameras come with junk rca video cables.

was just thinking and not sure why i did not think of it.

anyway there are setting in your h/u that will switch power functions and video settings for the camera. look at your manual for camera settings.

try that first, maybe its set wrong for that camera..

Thanks for the help. I have checked all setting at the HU.

I can try a different ground.

I may try wiring straight to the battery for the positive and negative leads of the camera to make sure it is getting power. After that, I will test the video cable.

Even though it would be a cheap fix, I really hope its not the video cable. I have it zipped to the other wires I ran down the center console and it will take up a lot more time than I want to dedicate to remove and rerun a video cable.

i got a new one that did that, no picture at all. but it would switch screen for backup.

I'm pretty sure the screen switches because I have my "backup" wire from the HU wired to the reverse light lead. I don't think having the camera hooked up has anything to do with that but I may be wrong.

well if your sure the h/u is set right for that camera, then its ether a bad camera or bad rca.

the wiring looks fine.

put it into reverse and check the wire to make sure your getting power at the switch ( red wire going to camera. )

i have a pioneer 7" flipout and i wired my truck for backup camera. the first one lasted about a month and stoped working. got another one ( same thing as i like the style ) and it does not work at all.

so i know how to wire/hookup a camera just so you know.

if you check your rca dont pull it, just take another one and run it from camera to h/u right over seats...... if it works then you can run it.

put it into reverse and check the wire to make sure your getting power at the switch ( red wire going to camera. )

i have a pioneer 7" flipout and i wired my truck for backup camera. the first one lasted about a month and stoped working. got another one ( same thing as i like the style ) and it does not work at all.
I know that I am getting power because the reverse lights turn on. You having two bad cameras makes me just want to say **** it and go without a camera if a new video cable doesn't fix it.

You should have tested it prior to installing. Its either the camera or the signal cable.
I should have. I just expected that because it was brand new that the cables would be fine.

On the bright side I do have my RCAs ran and waiting on an amp so I can just try one of those to see if the wire is the issue. It that's not it, I will be removing and returning the camera and probably will not buy another one. Do you guys think I am getting enough power by tapping into the reverse light?

I know that I am getting power because the reverse lights turn on. You having two bad cameras makes me just want to say **** it and go without a camera if a new video cable doesn't fix it.

I should have. I just expected that because it was brand new that the cables would be fine.
ya the cheaper one are hit or miss. i have the crimestoppers flush mount. and thats the ones that are crap.

heres an easy whey of checking... pull the plug at the camera ( power/ground plug ) and see if your getting power there when in reverse. as you could have a bad power wire. you never know dealing with cheap stuff.

On the bright side I do have my RCAs ran and waiting on an amp so I can just try one of those to see if the wire is the issue. It that's not it, I will be removing and returning the camera and probably will not buy another one. Do you guys think I am getting enough power by tapping into the reverse light?
thats why i said check with a dmm to see what voltage you are getting just to make sure.

ya the cheaper one are hit or miss. i have the crimestoppers flush mount. and thats the ones that are crap.
heres an easy whey of checking... pull the plug at the camera ( power/ground plug ) and see if your getting power there when in reverse. as you could have a bad power wire. you never know dealing with cheap stuff.
As simple as pulling the plug, using the positive prong on the dmm touching the plug and ground the negative prong from the dmm and look for a voltage?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.